BX - Implement to spread asphalt?

/ BX - Implement to spread asphalt? #1  

lww05

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX23
Has anybody ever spread out asphalt, coal mix, oil dirt or other similar material using only the FEL? If so how did the job turn out? I'd prefer to use asphalt but was wondering how good of a job the BX would do while rolling over it and packing it. Maybe a front blade would do the best along with using the turf tires???

/ BX - Implement to spread asphalt? #2  
If you have asphalt delivered, you wont be able to spread it fast enough before it cools/sets up, will you? Why not let the asphalt co spread it with their big equipment rather than wreck yours?

Just a thought.

/ BX - Implement to spread asphalt? #3  
I second Av8r2230 on this. Temperature is very important, the asphalt must be around 284ºF when applied. You need at least 2" compacted (2 5/8" before). Ouff... this seems to be a tough job for non-experts without the right equipments. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Maybe other TBNers have other opinions.

/ BX - Implement to spread asphalt?
This is what I needed to know about handling asphalt that I was unsure about. Thanks.

Years ago, I handled some coal mix by hand. It makes a pretty good base but needs something to level it better than the garden rake.

/ BX - Implement to spread asphalt? #5  
Well...my experience with the asphalt is a bit different when it comes to temperature.

A year ago (actually Sept, 2003), in warm weather, I was giving $10 per load to some truck drivers for fill. Worked for them and worked for me...

Anyway, I got all I needed, and a couple days later I hear a truck stopping, so I head up from my shed and the guy had about 10 tons of asphalt from a state road project, that was excess and he was going to dump it somewhere down the road...so he asked if I wanted it. I said yes, for sure and paid him $20 for thinking of me...figured it was worth a case of beer to me... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I never played with asphalt before and it held the temperature fine. I was amazed at how much fun it was to spread, almost like sand or small curshed stone really. My R4 tires (B2910 Kubota) did a fair job at "rolling it" and all in all I was satisfied, considering the investment. It hardened up rock solid. I had no complaints.

Now if this stuff cost $20 or more per ton, I think I would rahter have a proper roller and get a smoother finish that way. Turf tires would work better than R4s I guess. I don't have a clue what asphalt costs...and that asphalt I put down now is under some other fill...so all I know is that it was quite durable for a year or so.

Diesel fuel on the bucket did nothing for me to keep the asphalt from sticking, but the way. If you do use the tractor to play in the asphalt, be prepared for a mess on the loader. But it will wear off in time...

I'll attach a picture to indicate what you can expect to see afterwards if you decided to play in the asphalt with your BX...

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Attachments

• 633216-asphalt (570 x 379).jpg
    633216-asphalt (570 x 379).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 305
   / BX - Implement to spread asphalt? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( in warm weather,... worked for me...)</font>

The warm weather is probably the key. The asphalt should hold much more of its inner heat if the outside temperature is 100 degrees as opposed to 20 degrees. Though the flash point of diesel fuel is fairly high, think about how much more easily the engine starts on a 100 degree day as opposed to a 20 degree day.

If you try this, doing it on a day when the temp. is expected to be really high would be your best opportunity.

/ BX - Implement to spread asphalt? #7  
Eeeewww. I don't think I'd want that sticky stuff on my FEL. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ BX - Implement to spread asphalt? #8  
If you want a DIY, have you considered asphalt millings? I "inherited" a large pile of county-discarded millings and have some on my driveway. In fact, that's one big reason why I'm getting my BX2230 and FEL. After getting the millings smoothed out and some nice hot sunny summer days you've got a pretty nice, hard surface. Unfortunately mine has some dirt mixed in and it gets a little sloppy on rain days, but once that washes off I should be good to go. And the millings you buy won't have all the extra stuff mine did.

/ BX - Implement to spread asphalt? #9  
<font color="blue"> And the millings you buy won't have all the extra stuff mine did.</font>

Don't be so sure about that. The millings that I bought had road reflectors, wheel weights, street sweeper bristles, nails, soda bottles, large chunks of unmilled asphalt and a piece of what looked like fuel line from a gas pump. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All in all, though, they were a pretty good deal. They were cheaper than crusher run gravel and when spread and packed on a hot day, they make an even better road surface than crusher run.

Jeff

/ BX - Implement to spread asphalt? #10  
I think that tar in the bucket looks tough/good.