Plowing with a BX

/ Plowing with a BX #1  

smwelden

A friend has a BX 2230 and asked me what plow he should get/use for his larger garden. What should I recommend? IF you have any experience with plowing with your BX, your opion/experience would be greatly appreciated.

/ Plowing with a BX #2  
Plow vs Tiller?

Maybe he can rent or borrow a tiller and try it out before he invests in a plow....

As for plow I would imagine a 12' to 14" single bottom plow would work.

Good luck.
Chris

/ Plowing with a BX #3  
Here is an old thread of mine regarding plowing my garden with a BX1800. I use a 10" moldboard plow that I had purchased to use with my old Cub 1811 garden tractor. That unit was a sleeve hitch so I had to make an adaptor to work on my 3 point. I have plowed my garden 3 times it the past two years I have had the BX and will be doing it in another couple of weeks.

It works well at 10". Probably could even use a 12" but I don't know that for sure.

BX1800 VS GARDEN

Here is another where I posted instructions out of my plow manual that may also be of use.

Plowing

I am no expert, but I follow these each time I plow and it works for me. After plowing I will roto-till by hand as my wife is ready to plant. I just can't bring myself to spend $1000+ for a rototiller for the BX. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wish your friend well in his endeavor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know I sure enjoy moving along gracefully on the BX rather than the run and gun ride I used to do on my Cub so that I didn't get stuck to often. Sure was hard on the insides /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Plowing with a BX #4  
A single bottom 10" or 12", and I think the 10" would do best.

It's pulling a lot of dirt and you have to have a steady speed to turn the soil, so a 12" may be a bit much.

I plowed once with a 12" single bottom on my B7500. It did a great job, but with a little practice I could get better. I know I'd not want a 14" single bottom on my B7500.

/ Plowing with a BX #5  
The soil type makes all the difference in the world. Sandy loam should turn easily. Dry adobe clay may hardly get dented, in which case a tiller would work better. Call your local soil & water conservation agent/county extension agent and ask a local soils expert.