Teflon Tape?

/ Teflon Tape? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I found a dealer that has the hydraulic coupler I need. It looks like the old one was put on with some sort of "Teflon" tape on the threads. The question I have, is it regular, plain old teflon tape or something special? I know some fluids can eat away at some materials and wanted to be sure I use the right stuff.

Thanks, Tim

/ Teflon Tape? #2  
Tim, as you say, the regular, plain old Teflon tape is just fine. Just be very careful to not get it too near the end of the threads when you put it on the male connection. You DO NOT want to get a little piece loose in your hydraulic system.

Bird

/ Teflon Tape?
<font color=blue>...You DO NOT want to get a little piece loose in your hydraulic system....</font color=blue>

I second that motion... nice way to kill a hydraulic pump.../w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Teflon Tape? #4  
Tim,
I have found that all Teflon tape is not created equal. After some problems at work sealing large diameter pipe threads we found that there are different density tapes. You will need a high density tape that is marked as meeting military standard MIL-T-27730A. We finally settled on a supplier of yellow Teflon tape. The color designates that it is good for gas pipe applications and is really not different from the white tape except for color. But we found that the yellow is not made in a standard density and is always made as a high density tape.
Teflon tape is very advantageous as very few products attack it and subquently cause a leak.
Bird is right, the tape will form small strings if you allow it past the ends of the threads and then will come loose and clog up the orifice in hydraulic control valves. For that reason alone I like the thread sealants made by either Permatex or Loctite. They have soft set materials that are compatable with hydraulic fluids. The trick to using them is engage one thread before applying the sealant to the male thread and then tighten the joint. Hope this helps.

Randy

/ Teflon Tape?
Don't get to worried about tractor hydraulic fluid. It is usually a straight SAE mineral oil with some anti wear properties added - rough definition given to me years ago by my local oil depot. Just don't let any teflon get into your hydraulic system.
Never use it on diesel lines like I did once as it does terrible things to a Kubotas High pressure fuel pump.

/ Teflon Tape? #6  
In aviation we do not use teflon tape for either fuel or hydraulics due to possible contamination either during installation or upon later removal. Thread sealing compunds are a better bet in my opinion. J