bx-23 back hoe question

/ bx-23 back hoe question #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
hey folks,
got about 20 hours under my belt,on my hoE. i am really starting to get the hang of it.i am really impressed what this machine will do.i had some spectaters with there mouths open,they couldnt believe the size of the giant rock,i pinched a grip on and lifted out of a hole.why is it i cant get others to take pics for me?was dreading escavating a 2 ft rock maple stump,had it out in about 10 minutes ...couldnt even of imagined it.another trick i learned,put a tooth on a root and apply down pressure...cuts em right off.enough rambling heres my question...
what speed range do you run your engine at? I guess i run about half throttle.seams to work good there.when i turn it up a little,it doent seem to make the lifting,curling etc any faster,but it makes it turn[left and right]faster...too fast,its hard not to jerk it,and i have trouble being smooth.
I aint got a tiny tach yet[cant get momma to loosen up those purse strings]can you give me some idea,where your throttling.
ESCAVADER

/ bx-23 back hoe question #2  
escavader,

I don't know about a BX, but until someone chimes in with specific BX info, I can tell you that I run my B2910 at about 75% to 80% of full RPM when using the backhoe.

In my opinion, just set the RPM to a speed that suits you. If you are jerky at higher RPM, cut it back to where things work smooth at your current level of operating ability...you can always speed it up later as you get more experience under your belf if you want to.

I'm not sure having a tach makes much difference. How the hoe acts should be enough to tell you whether to speed up or slow down the engine. At least I think that is the case. I believe my B2910 has a seperate hydraulic pump for the steering, while the BX has a flow priority valve...perhaps this makes a difference...but I would think not...at least not too much of a difference...

/ bx-23 back hoe question #3  
I run my RPM at full when using the back hole . I figure less strain
on the back hole . and you will get smooth on the controls with more time on it . I have 25 Hrs on my BX23 and 20 Hrs is with the BH lots of stumps to clear. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ bx-23 back hoe question #4  
As Sidewinder mentionned, with more experience you'll have better movement coordination. You have to find the right spot where it moves slow and where it moves fast. Don't worry, the only way to get it right is to put some more hours on it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Sounds like more fun to me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I run my BX23 at full throttle when I use my backhoe. It could be a little bit faster on the swing and the crowd cylinder. And I'm not talking about simultaneous boom and dipperstick movements. But I'm happy that I've learned to use a backhoe with a BX23. The 140º swing arc prevents the bucket to touch the stabilizers. This is a good machine. It can do a lot of various jobs.

/ bx-23 back hoe question #5  
As you become more familiar with the machine, you will get a better handle on the controls. I would run it at 60% throttle until you have the expertise to do what you want quickly. Then you can increase the engine speed. This will give you more flow of hydraulic fluid for faster movements. Right now, this will be a disadvantage to you. Later on, it will make your work faster. If you are doing a precision job, then you want a slow moving hoe bucket. If you are digging a hole, then speed might be better. If you are trying to remove a stump, then go slow and increase the engine speed only if needed. Remember, that you can get into trouble quickly if the hoe has more power than you have control. When you master the control, then you will be able to do more faster and safely...... Junk......

/ bx-23 back hoe question #6  
I run at approx 3/4 throttle now and will probably increase to WOT after the 50hr breakin. I've found that the lower the RPM, the more sluggish it is to feather the BH.

Volfandt

/ bx-23 back hoe question #7  
I have found that WOT just wastes more fuel and doesn't accomplish more work. The only time that I have used WOT is blowing snow or cutting very high grass. Most times, the BX will handle any project just as well at 75% - 80% of throttle as it will with WOT. Just my opinion after having my tractor for almost 2 years and having done a lot of work.

/ bx-23 back hoe question #8  
I agree with Junkman on that one. I rarely go WOT. On the Hoe I'm usually at just over 50%

/ bx-23 back hoe question #9  
per the BX23's owners manual it is recommended to run the BH at rated engine speed, which I refer to as WOT. What constitutes WOT may be a subject for another thread /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It also indicates to run at 75% throttle to attenuate the engine noise a bit in residential applications.

In the few instances where I did run WOT (rated engine speed) I noticed a huge increase in performance of the BH, feathering of multiple BH funtions in particular, over running at approx 3/4 or 75% throttle.
At 50% or less I cannot even feather the BH as theres barely enough pressure to perform a single function.

After breakin I plan on doing some extensive hands-on research of this very subject /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Volfandt

/ bx-23 back hoe question #10  
I'm learning at 30%-50% throttle on the Woods Ground Breaker X BH, but did notice that at full power I was able to do multiple moves at the same time whereas half speed was more of a challenge to coordinate the compound moves. After break-in I'll be wearing earplugs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif