Please, Groundbreaker X

/ Please, Groundbreaker X #21  
Is that guy really digging wood chips with a backhoe?

Attachments

• 639956-ROPS3.jpg
    639956-ROPS3.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 199
   / Please, Groundbreaker X #22  
OK, we've seen just about enough of this dude.

Attachments

• 639965-ROPS4.jpg
    639965-ROPS4.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 198
   / Please, Groundbreaker X #23  
I think at 5'10" it will do, but I think I would want a taller rops if I was over 6'. One thing I notice though is that you are kind of hunched over when you are leaning forward. Sometimes I like to straighten up an look over the hoe when I am digging in close. Nice setup though. SHould work great for you. Enjoy!

/ Please, Groundbreaker X #24  
Woods and SCB

I can tell you for a fact that at 6' 2" I can find the ROPS with my head easier than I'd like. If I had another 6" it wouild not be an issue.

/ Please, Groundbreaker X #25  
Sometimes I slouch to lean into the controls, but in regular use when I want to see over the hoe I'm leaning forward well in front of the ROPS. I would assume a 6' person would be the limit. So far I only notice ducking the bar when exiting /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Please, Groundbreaker X #26  
Why would you need to lean over the hoe if all you do is dig woodchips /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Seriously though. I think I like the external cylinders. With mine internal it always makes me wonder if it is properly greased. I like that they are black too.

/ Please, Groundbreaker X #27  
It is obvious that you have yet to dig.... the paint is still like new on the hoe bucket. I believe that I might have thought of a perfect solution to the ROPS hight. Have a piece of steel made that has the same bolt pattern as the ROPS and weld one on top and bottom of a piece of 4" square 1/4" wall square tube and make an extension to the ROPS. That way, you can customize it to the hight that you want and not modify the original ROPS. If it is fabricated properly, it will be extremely strong and hold up in a roll over accident. Just make sure to use Grade 8 bolts, lock washers, and nuts.

/ Please, Groundbreaker X
Awesome pictures Woods, Thank you very much! Just what I was looking for.

One more question: Lifting with one of these small hoes; if a person were to put a chain hook on the bucket, what would the lift capacity be? Is this a capacity given in the spec's or is this just a general bad idea. (function: Lifting a broken-loose stump out of a deep hole)

Unrelated question for you Woods: How did you get the Hoe body (on a pallet) out of the back of your pickup? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Please, Groundbreaker X #29  
<font color="blue"> How did you get the Hoe body (on a pallet) out of the back of your pickup? </font> /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Put her street shoes on and assisted her off the tailgate. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Groucho Marks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(Sorry, Groucho couldn't resist) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Please, Groundbreaker X #30  
I cheated to get the hoe out of the pickup. I used my bucket truck to pick it, but only after I removed all items other than the main assymbly. Subframes, bucket, outriggers and hardware all unstrap. I estimate the pallet weighed @ 600lbs then. 4-6 people should be able to lift it off. Or better yet find a tree and borrow a chain hoist, lower it and drag it to the garage. I have dug some long drainage pipe runs and backfilled the holes dug for the property perk tests, but I must admit I do clean off the ride after each use and the soil here is mostly mud. All of the boulders are on top from the glaciers. This weekend I tried lifting and dragging the snowmobile with the hoe bucket curled with a lift strap over it. Everything was ok until I tried to go up the inclined ramp to the shed. Thats when the front started poping a wheelie. Had to change to the front loader bucket to lift it and pull it up the ramp. The hoe had plenty of lift power, but was limited to the front loader "counter balance" weight to keep the tractor on the ground. The hoe makes a great counter weight for the loader /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif