BX PTO lever very hard to engage

/ BX PTO lever very hard to engage #1  

JimMorrissey

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05/'06 L39 TLB
Hi. I just noticed the other day when I attached my belly mower that the PTO lever is really tough to engage. I thought I was going to break it I was pushing forward so hard. Also, the soft, clear plastic sheeth on the stem of the lever is getting mangled by the plastic notch that holds the PTO lever safely back. Has anyone else experienced this? Is your mid-PTO a smooth engagement or a abrupt start?

/ BX PTO lever very hard to engage #2  
Sometime you need to bump the tractor forward or backward, then try to engage the PTO again. DO NOT force it. The engagemet of the mower blade should be gradual and smooth.

/ BX PTO lever very hard to engage #3  
Mine is a fairly abrupt start ... I just try to engage at lower revs to avoid any problems.

Patrick

/ BX PTO lever very hard to engage #4  
Mine was also very hard. I thought I was going to bend the arm moving it. It would take me about 10 minutes of playing to get it to move.
Moving the speed pedal had no effect and jogging the transmission had no effect.
You didn't mention how many hours you had on the BX. I would guess it's new since your just trying the PTO lever.. After about 30 hours of tractor use mine freed right up and moves very easily now.

/ BX PTO lever very hard to engage #5  
Do not force it. Mine is easier now than when new. One thing you can do is kill ( as in turn it off) the tractor and get off and go under the tractor and rotate the shaft drive slightly and then it will snick into gear. These things do not apparently synchro mesh so if it stops in a odd position it will not rengage. Shift the PTO's with the PTO clutch in neutral and then engage the PTO drives.
No mine does not seem to have much "mangaling" going on--some scuffing. J

/ BX PTO lever very hard to engage #6  
Don't force it...

Try double clutching it. Sometimes when the gears move a little they will engage easier.

Use it! I'm guesssing it's a pretty new tractor. With some break-in hours, it should loosen up and work smoother.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ BX PTO lever very hard to engage
1funride, thanks for the info. If you click on a person's name next to their post you can get info about their machine....I've updated the hours a couple of times.

/ BX PTO lever very hard to engage
Well.....it appears the general consensus is "DON'T FORCE IT"......OK. I'll go easier on her since she's new and not quite broken in yet. 22 hours in about 10 days!

Anybody else have the mangled plastic PTO lever? It doesn't seem right.

--Jim

/ BX PTO lever very hard to engage #9  
As others have stated, the PTO engagement gears are not synchro, so if they are cog-to-cog, it won't engage.

What I do when it won't engage is to leave the engine at idle and push gently on the PTO lever while simultaneously engaging and disengaging the clutch. This is sort of a "feel" thing, and when the gears move just a "skosh", the PTO will engage.

This is easy, just be easy on it, and try not to ham-hand it.

The GlueGuy

/ BX PTO lever very hard to engage #10  
I pushed hard on mine and had the gears jump when it was brand new. Lever in mid and rear ran. Dealer repaired on warantee. Works fine now. Always engages properly and easily. I suggest that you have the dealer work on it.