My First REAL Tractor...Help Please!

/ My First REAL Tractor...Help Please! #1  

Mamasan

OK, OK....I know that tractors are supposed to be a "guy" thing, but I can't help myself, I'm just in love with them! We recently moved to a home with 5 acres. The land was in terrible shape. I've wacked away at it with my poor little Cub Cadet 1450 and it is now halfway presentable, but some of the heavier jobs left to do, like taking the crown off of the 400' driveway, send the Cub to the back of the barn, hiding in fear.

Not having the funds necessary to buy the latest and greatest, I settled on a Kubota L285 (1976-77) which came with loader, box scraper, grader/snow blade, and brush hog. It is all in pretty good shape.

For the most part, everything works well on this tractor and it runs like a top, no smoke or knocking. The one problem it does have, though, is that the glow plug system is not working. The indicator on the dash is not glowing at all. I cannot find this part (15401-65451) online. Does anyone have any good sources for parts for an L285, new or used? Any other suggestions as to a fix? Thanks in advance. You guys are great!

http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1580/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

/ My First REAL Tractor...Help Please! #2  
<font color="blue"> the glow plug system is not working. </font>

Mamasan,

Is the tractor hard starting? It could be something as simple as the indicator lamp being burned out, and the glow plugs could be working fine.

I can't help really, but you could somehow check the voltage at the glow plugs with respect to the frame and see if there is voltage there when you put the key in the "heat" position. Or you could just take the indicator bulb out and see if it is burned out...

Just a couple thoughts to get this thread going if no one answers before this post appears... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ My First REAL Tractor...Help Please! #3  
By the way,

Welcome to TBN! You will find lots of good advice here.

Don't forget to thank your tractor for its hard work (very nice, checked out the pic) on a daily basis. They tend to be quiet, after the work is done, but they do appreciate it when we thank them for their effort! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Arigoto works well for Japanese tractors...

/ My First REAL Tractor...Help Please!
Henro,

Thanks for the reply! The tractor will start easily on its own if the temp is 50-60 degress or warmer outside. Anything below that, she won't start without a shot of starting fluid (small shot). Your suggestion about checking the voltage is a good one. We'll get right on it! Where would I buy a new indicator lamp if needed? I apologize for the newbie questions! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ My First REAL Tractor...Help Please! #5  
I was just wondering, have you checked the resistance across the glow plugs? I have a Kubota engine running a genset and my BX are both 9 ohms. Maybe the circuit is not completeing at the indicator light due to defective or burnt plugs?

Good luck

Hi Bx,

Thanks for the response! No, this is a newly devleoped problem and we weren't sure exactly where to start. This is our first diesel. You will notice that I say "we" meaning "mine", You know...what's his is mine and what's mine is mine?

I thank you for your suggestion. We'll check it out. My first instinct was to run down and buy 4 new glow plugs, but it may be just the indicator. There doesn't seem to be any relays or resistors on this setup. Just the indicator wired straight to the plugs. It is pretty straight forward (read old).

/ My First REAL Tractor...Help Please! #7  
For parts you might call tractorsmart. They have an excellent web site and are reasonably priced.

Welcome to TBN......may all your tractoring be orange!

/ My First REAL Tractor...Help Please! #8  
MAMASAN,
Tractors ARE NOT a guy thing,dont ever believe it.Up here in MAINE,if it werent for the farmers wives running tractors,much of the work wouldnt get done.Ther would have been a good many wet bales of hay,etc if the women folk hadnt have been proffesionals on there tractors along side their families.In fact the dealer who sold me my tractor,is a woman,has been doing it for all her life.She can probably answer any question i have.She also demonstrated the tractor for me,and showed me how to operate it.Although i cant get my wife to try the bota,she can ride a four wheeler better than most of my buddys can.
There are no man vs women things here,but we do clown around a lot.
WELCOME to the club,post often,never be afraid of asking a question,or giving an opinion.

Escavader,

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for taking me to school on the whole man vs woman thing. I am here in a heavily populated area of Ohio and am apparently woefully unaware of the woman-tractor connection. Glad to know I am not alone! And don't try too hard to get your wife on the bota, you may never get it back! Yes, clowning is good!

SandyC,

Thanks too for the welcome and the tip on TractorSmart.com. It looks they have a lot to offer. I'll be giving them a call. Orange is beginning to be my favorite color.....

Anybody else have any tips on how to diagnose the glow plug problem?

/ My First REAL Tractor...Help Please! #10  
First thing that you need to check is if the circuit is getting voltage to the switch that engages the glow plugs. Then check to see if the voltage is leaving the switch and going to the glow plugs. I believe that the light is in between the switch and the glow plugs. Check the circuits with a test lamp and also check the glow plugs with a ohm meter. If you don't understand what I am talking about, then you are already over your head and should leave the repair to a qualified technician. I don't mean this negatively or demeaning, but as a word of caution. You can do much harm trying to repair a item that you have no experience with and knowledge of. Also, make sure that you never place yourself between the tractor wheels when doing any work on the tractor. To do so, could cost you your life if the tractor was to suddenly start because you touched the wrong wire and in an instant, you could be under the tire. Experience mechanics make mistakes and die..... inexperienced people make more of them and die more often. We need to keep you around to remind us that there are a few women that know how to use tractors. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Welcome to TBN