Newbie question

/ Newbie question #1  

Lockport

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT235
What's the difference between using a sheer pin and a slip clutch and which is better? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Newbie question #2  
They are both to provide protection to the PTO of the tractor. The shear pin is a bolt that will break when something tries to stop the motion of the implement such as a rock being picked up by the snow blower. The slip clutch fits between the implement and drive shaft so instead of changing bolts the clutch will kick in and hopfully prevent damage. The clutch is a more expensive option.

Dave

/ Newbie question
Thanks Dave. It would seem then, that the slip clutch is the prferred way to go. I knew I had shear bolts on the old snowblower of a recently traded T1770. Just wasn't familiar with the term slip-clutch.

/ Newbie question #4  
It depends, both the slip clutch and the shear bolts have their place, both have merits depending on application.

The clutch must be tightened as to provide enough "slip" and PTO rotation to the implement, if the clutch is too tight, PTO damage can still occur.

Conversely, the shear bolt is somewhat idiot proof (something I need) stick the bolt in and tada there you go. The problem exists in the shear strength of the bolt. Too strong a bolt and PTO damage can occur, too weak a bolt and you will be shearing off bolts all the time.

It just depends on the application