Brush Hogging with BX

/ Brush Hogging with BX #1  

JonSpinosa

Silver Member
Has anyone used their BX2200 for brush hogging? I am thinking about buying a brush hog for my BX2200 and wondering how well the tractor handles it. What size brush hog do you guys think is right for the BX2200? I am looking at a 48" and 60" hog. I think the 60" may be too big for the BX?? Any comments would be appreciated!!

Jon

/ Brush Hogging with BX #2  
I would definitely say the 60" would be to big for the BX. According to my B2410 manual I'm supposed to stop at a 48" bush hog. I decided since I was only using it for grass and weeds with very little "bush", I could safely go to the 60". I have yet to lug the tractor, but I would certainly not want to try it with the BX.

Kevin

/ Brush Hogging with BX #3  
Jon, I believe your owners manual says to use a maximum 42" cutter not exceeding 300 lbs. While there are a few 42" cutters on the market, none to my knowledge is less than 300 lbs. The unavailabilty of cutters for my needs was one of the reasons I traded in my BX for a larger tractor.

Last year my dealer was selling the no longer available light duty Woods 48" cutter for the BX. But because of the BX's tight 3ph geometry, he had to cut special holes in the cutter's A frame to fit it on the BX. Now he is selling a new 42" cutter by Landpride, which looks quite nice.

I think the answer to you question is that a 42" would be the best match, but you may be able to hydraulically handle a light duty 48" cutter if it can physically fit the BX. Dont buy one unless the dealer proves and demonstrates to you it fits and can be raised to proper heights.

/ Brush Hogging with BX #4  
So, somebody tell me if I'm crazy ... but if you clear any stumps/rocks from the pasture first, why not just use the mid-mount on the BX?

The LandPride 42" is only rated for 'grass' - although it does have a stump-jumper. The deck is actually thinner (12 gauge) than the Kubota MMM (9 gauge) ...

http://www.landpride.com/lp/products/rcr15_specs.html

rcr1572.jpg

Considering I have already beaten a pasture into resignation with my MMM - including a couple of rocks, my wife's rake and a couple of rose bushes it may be worth a try. Apart from a couple of nicks in the blade (from the rake) there's no apparent damage - and the BX wasn't laboring.

I took it slow the first couple of cuts - and prior to cutting I walked the pasture with a shovel and heaved out any big rocks - that was the only concession ...

I guess it just depends on size of job - I only had an acre to do.

Patrick

/ Brush Hogging with BX #5  
Jon, We sell the Bush Hog brand SQ48, 48" Squealer on lots of the BX's we sell. No complaints, no drilling, simply turn the lower link pins so they are facing the inside of the A frame and Mow ON! Pete

/ Brush Hogging with BX #6  
That seems to be more like it - Bush Hog advertises a 1" cutting capacity for the smaller decks. They are at:

http://www.bushhog.com/specbook/sq-8.html

SQ60.gif

(Still amazes me that the BX has a heavier MMM deck than the Bush Hog)

Patrick

/ Brush Hogging with BX #7  
I have a King Kutter XB brush hog, which is part of the XB line King Kutter designed especially for Kubota BX tractors. I have used it on field grass, blackberries and brush and have been favorably impressed. I think it is 48".

OregonTom

/ Brush Hogging with BX #8  
Woods used to make a medium duty 40" model, which had thicker metal than their (or Bush Hog's) light duty models. I dont know if it is still available since Woods introduced their Brush Bull line. From my research a year ago, I think I recall 42" models by Bush Hog, Rhino, Woods, and Howse.