Engine Oil Type Question

/ Engine Oil Type Question #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have recently purchased a used B7100 and would like to chnage the engine oil and filter. But this will be the first time that I have done this on a diesel engine. Can I use the same 10W-30 that I have for my gasoline engines? Is there special oils for diesel motors?

/ Engine Oil Type Question
My B7500HSD manual says to use 10W30, so that's what I did.
Just off the shelf motor oil.

/ Engine Oil Type Question #3  
A good question. Yes, there is a difference. You want a commercial grade oil. The round circle on the container gives the API rating. There are 2 classes, S and C (service and commercial) they will be shown with another letter that indicates what level of additives it contains, in alphabetical order, the higher the letter, the more current the rating. sA, sB, sC, sD, sE, sF and so on. There is a new one coming, I think it is sL. To further confuse, Commercial oils do the same thing with a "C" prefix- cA,cB,cC, and so on. These contain additives and detergents for diesel engines. The most commonly found oils for diesel service are single weight, 20, 30, and the multiviscosity 15W-40. These will show both S and C ratings like SJ/CH. Most 10W-30 oils you find on the shelf at Walmart and other common suppliers is S rated for gas engines. I had to go to a Chevron oil jobber to get Delo 400 10W-30. This is not to say you wont find it immediately, but if you check the API label you will find most 10w-30 oils are SJ rated and very few carry SJ/CF. 15W/40 is excellent oil but in smaller engines it is a bit heavy. I used it in my 24 HP Case and it did not generally get hot enough to get the oil flowing really good. I think it is intended for diesels that run for hours or days without shutdown, rather than short light duty runs that most of our homeowner tractors see.

/ Engine Oil Type Question #4  
Hmmm, on the API ratings, I thought the first letter "S" stood for "spark" ignition (gasoline engine) for "C" for "compression" combustion (diesel engine). At any rate, you want one with the Cx rating. Kubota is behind on updating their manuals and recommends CC or CD which are outdated and you may not even be able to find. However, I buy the Chevron Delo 400 (15W-40) at Wal-mart.

Bird

/ Engine Oil Type Question #5  
Bird - Well, there goes your Amsoil license... /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Engine Oil Type Question #6  
Here's another vote for Delo 400 15W-40. It is the oil of choice around here and has been for years. Most of the other major refineries offer a similar product and they may very well be just as good, but I'm sticking with something that's been proven and is widely available in my area.

/ Engine Oil Type Question #7  
Not directly related to your question--sorry--but I purchased a new CH air compressor since my old faithful 2 stage 36 plus amp Ingersol is hundreds of miles away in my hanger back home and my portable unit is not up to my needs. What I got is a 80 gallon, vertical, 24 amp CH twin cylinder single stage unit. It said to break in with the oil provided for 30 minutes under no load and then use only compressor oil or Mobil 1 10W-30 synthetic or a synthetic compressor oil. It recommended the Mobil 1 to prevent carboning of the valves as these things can run very hot during extended use. Just thought that was intersting. As an ex petroleum geologist I find references to petro based oils as dino oil funny. While there is some animal contribution to hydrocarbon deposits it is predominately plant material. Dinosaurs, your dog or yourself will never contribute significantly to the formation of fossil fuels, past, present or future. J

/ Engine Oil Type Question #8  
TresCrows, do you reckon the reference is to the time instead of the material the oil came from?

Bird

/ Engine Oil Type Question #9  
Bird--no--most hydrocarbons, coal and etc are from the Carboniferous about 320 million years ago. There are a lot of hydrocarbon deposits, oil in the Permian basin of Tx for example which has rocks strata from Devonian time to Permian--a huge span of time, the Permian strata of the Permian reef is about 225 million years ago and of course in the Gulfcoast oil is found in the Cenozoic/Tertiary up to 65 million years ago and as we all know dinos became extinct except for those that fly (birds) about at the KT boundry about 65 million years ago. So, nope not exactly. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. The Russians think it can be non organically generated and to top it all off the oil may migrate from the strata it was generated, vastly disseminated, till it collects at a geologic oddity, a trap of some nature, where it accumulates in rocks possibly distant from it's orgin both in time and distance. J

/ Engine Oil Type Question #10  
Yeah, TresCrows, but for us non-technical types, sometimes a reference to dinosaurs just means anything that was a looong time ago./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird