50 hours - details details

/ 50 hours - details details #1  

Tractor_Jim_CT

Silver Member
Tractor
BX23
I know there have been many questions on this topic, but now that I'm ready at 49.4 hours, I need some help with the following and would be grateful for any advise.

1) do you have to remove the FEL
2) do you have to remove the BH
if so, what do you do with the hoses for BH and FEL
3) Do you have to remove pressure in anyway
before removing the hydro drain plug
4) is there more than one drain plug
for the Hydo-trans fluid
5) Some have mentioned to put wood blocks under the tractor
for more clearance. Should the tractor be lifted off the
ground, rear tire removed to get at trans-screen, before
lowering onto blocks and releasing the pressure.
6) The front axles, does one just unscrew the top and check the level of fluid. How do I know if to much or to little.
7) Brake cleaner-just spray the metal chips off of the screen?
Any other thoughts on cleaning the screen?
8) Checking the 50 hour package from the dealer given from when I bought the tractor and noticed I was given 2 fuel filters. Is there one or two?

I fiqure setting up the tractor will help make the 50 hours less painless. Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks to all

/ 50 hours - details details #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 1) do you have to remove the FEL.
( 2) do you have to remove the BH if so, what do you do with the hoses for BH and FEL)</font>

it is faster if you get these two item off and out of the way. the holes have caps that get put on them when they are removed. On the hoe, you just connect the two lines together to keep them clean.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 3) Do you have to remove pressure in anyway
before removing the hydro drain plug.
( 4) is there more than one drain plug
for the Hydo-trans fluid)</font>

the pressure is relieved when you shut down the machine. The only time pressure is held in the hoses is when there is pressure on one end of the cylinder or the other. That is why you move the loader handle in all directions before removing the loader (same for backhoe). Far as I remember, there is only one drain plug in the transmission. Check with the service / owners manual for pictures and details.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 5) Some have mentioned to put wood blocks under the tractor for more clearance. Should the tractor be lifted off the ground, rear tire removed to get at trans-screen, before lowering onto blocks and releasing the pressure.)</font>

Not necessary, but if you like to have room under the tractor, it is a good idea. Just depends on how you like to work. I prefer to have the tractor elevated when doing this type of work. Others don't mind working with the tractor lower to the ground. Personal preference.)</font>

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 6) The front axles, does one just unscrew the top and check the level of fluid. How do I know if to much or to little.)</font>

Check the manual for details. I believe that the correct amount is 1/2" below the top going from memory. There are a couple of drain plugs on the front differantial. Make sure to drain them all. Have spare containers available if any one container should get close to overflowing. Keep some cat litter or speedy dry handy. You will need it...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 7) Brake cleaner-just spray the metal chips off of the screen? Any other thoughts on cleaning the screen? )</font>

Just make sure that you don't loose or damage the two "O" rings that are at the end of the screen nut.)</font>

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 8) Checking the 50 hour package from the dealer given from when I bought the tractor and noticed I was given 2 fuel filters. Is there one or two?)</font>

Two

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I fiqure setting up the tractor will help make the 50 hours less painless. Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks to all )</font>

The most painless method is to pay the dealer to do it...... that is, if money isn't an issue... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 50 hours - details details #3  
Junkman covered most of it. One plug for the tranny. My front end has a dipstick. I elevate mine when doing the front end oil change to get a larger drainpan under it. I don't believe the fuel filters are required on the 50, but they aren't difficult to replace if it makes you feel better to change them.
Total time should be about 2-3 hours the first time you do it. But if you are mechanically challenged, the dealer is the way to go.

/ 50 hours - details details
Thanks Junkman..can always count on you for the answers.

My closest dealer is 25-30 minutes away and I can never get a straight answer from the guy. Apparently it's family owned. When I wanted to buy the BX23, they were 2K higher than anyone, and it took 3-4 weeks to get that price. A few weeks ago I tried to purchase a box blade and landscape rake. The phone call always goes from accessories to where did I buy the BX23. The dealer never got back to me again and I frankly don't want someone who is pissed I didn't purchase the tractor from him working on my tractor.

There is another dealer in Middletown and I hear is good, but is farther away and I don't have a trailer. I will probably look them up in the future.

I would love to have a dealer do the 50 hours since this is kind of a pain. I never took off the FEL or BH and was hoping I did not have to. I have all of the parts, fluids and tools and looking forward to getting this done so I can get back in the seat. Anyways, not money but lack of a good, trust worthy dealer.

/ 50 hours - details details #5  
Having the dealer do the service is painless, but it is a labor of love when you do it yourself. It also seems the dealer treats them like 'its just a tractor' and not your pride and joy. ie leaving oil all over it, taking no care to protect the finish, basically just man handling it.

I know I'm going to hear it is just a tractor, but I just dont see the dealer taking the time and attention the owner will. Unless it HAS to go to the dealer, I'd do the service myself. Besides the fact the 50 hr service is EXPENSIVE at the dealer. I like the personal satisfaction and also keeping up on the machine in detail.

I base this on my experience with a Deere tractor and not the BX2230 that I'm playing with now. It has too few hours to be going back to the dealer for anything.

/ 50 hours - details details #6  
Jim....... depending on where in CT you live, I would be willing to come down on a Saturday and give you a hand if you feel that you need one. Just send me a PM and we can discuss it. Junk.....

/ 50 hours - details details
Junk,

Sent a PM, but not showing in my send box. Let me know you got it.

Thanks

/ 50 hours - details details #8  
got it and answered .... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 50 hours - details details #9  
Before I start, I must admit that I had the dealer do the 50 hour and 800 hour service on my tractor, all the others I did myself. It's not too difficult once you have done it once or had someone show you how. It sounds as if Junkman is going to take care of you so you should be good to go.

/ 50 hours - details details #10  
Hey Junkman,
As long as you're hitting the road, keep going and give me a hand also, SC is not all that far! I'll send you back with some fresh greens and liver mush! bw