parking brake

/ parking brake
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( if you're BX2230 is like my B7610 - then the engine only stops when you have the PTO engaged (ex mower) and you leave the drivers' seat. )</font>

My understanding and experience with the BX2230 is regardless if it's in gear or neutral, if you leave the seat it will shut off. Now that I think of it though, I don't specifically remember putting it in neutral and getting up... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm fairly certain that my BX shuts off if I leave the seat in gear regardless of the PTO setting.

<font color="black"> </font>

/ parking brake #12  
I did find out, as many probably knew but were too kind to call me a dumbkopf, that the BX will turn off only if in gear and not in neutral. If PTO is activated it doesn't matter the tractor will turn off.

/ parking brake #13  
You can run the PTO when not on the tracor by lifting up the seat and in neutral. Instructions are in the manual. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ parking brake #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font>[color:"blue" class="small
1*The tractor was in 2-wheel drive and in neutral
2*I will try the 4-wheel option next time.
)</font>
1*Never put it in netural when the tractor is on a slope.
2*It don't matter if it's in 2 or 4 wheel drive.

If the tractor is in neutral be it 2 or 4 wheel drive it can roll down the hill when in neutral even with the brake applied.
If the brake's not set I guarantee you it will coast away on an incline in neutral in either 2 or wheel drive.

Never get in front of or behind the tractor on the down hill side when it's parked on a slope because if it starts rolling down the incline it can roll right over top of you.

Also don't get between the tractor and a solid object. If the tractor moves you could get crushed between it and the object.

When working on a slope always get on or off the tractor from the high side.
Several years ago this time of year my neighbors 18 year son was crushed to death when their JD rolled over on him it was right at graduation time just like it is now.
He was going up cross ways of a slope with a load of fence post in the FEL when they shifted in the bucket.
He had stopped and was getting off the tractor on the low side when the tractor flipped over on him.
Had he gotten off on the high side he would have been above the rolled over tractor not under it.
In fact had he gotten off on the high side the tractor might not have rolled as it could have been that his weight shift to the lower side caused the roll over.

/ parking brake #17  
<font color="blue"> Why would it be in neutral on a slope? That's Georgia Overdrive..... Take advantage of the tractors engine breaking, the wheels will only turn so fast when in gear, but remember it is possible to go to slow and start sliding if it's really slick. </font>
<font color="brown"> I thought it had to be in neutral without me in the seat to prevent it from shutting off. </font>
I had to get off the tractor to dump the contents of the cart with a rake.
============
<font color="brown"> No, it don't have to be in neutral to run without you being in the seat; but even it did I would still advise you to never put the tractor in neutral on a hill.
Putting it in neutral on a grade is a good way for the tractor to get away from you. On a hill always leave it in gear and set the parking brake tight. To be on the safe side you could even chock the wheels.
If the engine did stop you can always restart it when you go to move the tractor.
Again don't put it in neutral first when you go to restart the motor or it will roll away again just like it did before for you.
Make sure the parking brake is firmly set then shift to neutral hit the key immediately upon shifting to neutral and shift back into gear as soon as the motor starts. Don't ply around with trying to set engine rpm or fool around with any other levers before shifting back into gear.
The object is to shorten the length of time in neutral as much as possible to get the transmission back into gear as soon as possible so the brakes will hold the tractor in place.
Do not release the parking brake before shifting back into gear. </font>

<font color="red"> When you have the shifter in neutral and the parking brake released there aren't any brakes on the tractor - just like there aren't any brakes on a car when the gear selector isn't in park and the emergency brake is not set.</font>

/ parking brake #18  
My BX23 is 3 weeks old. My tractor will NOT stop on a slope, in gear or not. It was not a steep slope, it was in my drive way. I pushed the foot brake as hard as I could and it still drifted backwards in 4x4, low range. I'll have to call it in for service. I've had a few bugs already.

/ parking brake #19  
rpalmer

The parking brake on my BX2200 was the same way. It would not hold the tractor if it was parked on a significant slope. I lived with the problem until I reached the 50 hr. maintenance and found the left band was engaging before the right band. I adjusted it according to the manual and now it holds reasonably well but it still is nothing to write home about! Most of my property is on a hillside so I use the parking brake quite often. In most cases I have my FEL on the tractor so I drop the weight box and the FEL when I park.

John

/ parking brake #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When working on a slope always get on or off the tractor from the high side.
Several years ago this time of year my neighbors 18 year son was crushed to death when their JD rolled over on him it was right at graduation time just like it is now.
He was going up cross ways of a slope with a load of fence post in the FEL when they shifted in the bucket.
He had stopped and was getting off the tractor on the low side when the tractor flipped over on him.
Had he gotten off on the high side he would have been above the rolled over tractor not under it.
In fact had he gotten off on the high side the tractor might not have rolled as it could have been that his weight shift to the lower side caused the roll over.

)</font>

LBrown59,

Thank you for that information. I am on the 4th tractor I have owned and I had never consciously thought about whether I was getting off on the high side or low side. You post serves as a warning to me to pay attention to on slopes when I get off or on the tractor.

Your information may save my (or someone else's) life someday.

Thank you,

Bill Tolle