parking brake

/ parking brake #1  

jam2004

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2230
I was redistributing about 30 yards of horse manure today with my 2230 and a Rubbermaid dump cart. The dumping area was on an incline for ease of dropping the loads. I found the BX to completely ignore the parking break at times. A few times, as the the set up started to coast downhill, I slammed on the brake and nothing helped. Is there an adjustment for this or is it to be expected?

/ parking brake #2  
The brake takes lots of pressure much more than any car or truck. I always do slopes in 4x4 and low range.

/ parking brake #3  
<font color="blue">A few times, as the the set up started to coast downhill, I slammed on the brake and nothing helped. </font>

I'm a bit confused...was the tractor in gear?

My BX brake if pushed hard holds amazingly well. Are you sure you were not sliding with the wheels locked?

Keep in mind that the front wheels do not connect to the brakes unless you are in 4WD. If you were sliding but saw the front wheels turning, and were not in 4WD, you might think you were not getting stopping power from the brakes...when you had the rear wheels locked up and the fronts were freewheeling...

Your BX brakes should lock the wheels. No question in my mind about that. If they don't, you need them fixed. You might want to test them in 4wd on a relatively steep slope and see what happens.

Also be aware if you have a loader and are going down hill, if your bucket is heavy it can cause the rear wheels to become light, and if you don't have the tractor in 4WD, you may find yourself in for an exciting ride, unless you drop the loader to the ground pretty quick... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ parking brake #4  
If the dump trailer was pointed up or down hill, then the brakes will have more difficulty holding the tractor. I suggest that you reconsider how you position the tractor when doing this type of work. I would position the tractor so it was sideways on the hill, even if the trailer were pointed downhill. The brakes on a BX are a internal band that is in hydraulic fluid, and it is meant to be used as a parking brake. Don't ever be mislead into believing that it will stop the tractor in a free fall situation. Many on this forum have learned that lesson the difficult way. When encountering steep descents, alway use low gear and the hydro will act as a brake in this situation. Never get off the tractor with the MMM spinning, or any other powered attachment running. In these instances, always disengage the PTO first. Always lower the front bucket fully and set the parking brake before exiting the machine, even if for only a moment. I suggest that you spend an evening reading the machines owners manual for more safety details. Too often, too many new owners fail to fully read and understand the owners manual. This is one book that is on your "must read" list, but will never make the N.Y. Times top ten sellers list.

/ parking brake #5  
Push in the clutch and slam on the brakes, that should stop you, and if it don't you're breaks need adjusted.

Been driving with the parking brake on? It's happened to most of us here at least once, twice or a dozen times.

As far as the parking break holding on a slope, have the tractor in 4 wheel drive, this brakes all four wheels.

/ parking brake
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Push in the clutch and slam on the brakes, that should stop you, and if it don't you're breaks need adjusted.

Been driving with the parking brake on? It's happened to most of us here at least once, twice or a dozen times.

As far as the parking break holding on a slope, have the tractor in 4 wheel drive, this brakes all four wheels.

Thanks everyone. The tractor was in 2-wheel drive and in neutral without the FEL attached. I will try the 4-wheel option next time.

/ parking brake #7  
Why would it be in neutral on a slope? That's Georgia Overdrive..... Take advantage of the tractors engine breaking, the wheels will only turn so fast when in gear, but remember it is possible to go to slow and start sliding if it's really slick.

/ parking brake
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why would it be in neutral on a slope? That's Georgia Overdrive..... Take advantage of the tractors engine breaking, the wheels will only turn so fast when in gear, but remember it is possible to go to slow and start sliding if it's really slick. )</font>

I had to get off the tractor to dump the contents of the cart with a rake. I thought it had to be in neutral without me in the seat to prevent it from shutting off. <font color="blue"> </font>

/ parking brake #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I had to get off the tractor to dump the contents of the cart with a rake. I thought it had to be in neutral without me in the seat to prevent it from shutting off. )</font>

jam2004 -

if you're BX2230 is like my B7610 - then the engine only stops when you have the PTO engaged (ex mower) and you leave the drivers' seat.

I almost always have my CUT in HI or LO range when I hop off - the fact that I'm NOT pushing on one of the for / rev HST pedals means that she doesn't go anywhere. (The p-brake really ensures this)

Think of a going down a hill and down-shifting a car to control your speed. Well the HST will do the same as you release the pedal - you slow down - not because of a seperate braking action elsewhere - but because you are providing a smaller *outlet path* for the oil - and this restriction slows the tractor down as you release a pedal - or holds if at full stop because the HST is *hydraulically locked* (no inlet / outlet paths & oil is not compressible)

Does that make more sense?

Hope that helps,

Dan

/ parking brake #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( if you're BX2230 is like my B7610 - then the engine only stops when you have the PTO engaged (ex mower) and you leave the drivers' seat. )</font>

My understanding and experience with the BX2230 is regardless if it's in gear or neutral, if you leave the seat it will shut off. Now that I think of it though, I don't specifically remember putting it in neutral and getting up... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Give me an excuse to start her up tomorrow, even though it's too muddy to do anything here /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif