BX Coolant Change - Unheard Of????

/ BX Coolant Change - Unheard Of???? #1  

r0GuE

Veteran Member
Tractor
ex-Bota Owner
I stopped in to my local dealer the other day to check on the price of a coolant change. He looked at me like I was joking. He waited for the punch line… I finally convinced him I was serious and he asked e why I would want that done. I mentioned that it was my understanding that the anti-corrosive properties deteriorate over time and that my tractor was now 4 years old. He said they have never done it. He said I don’t put enough hours on it for me to hurt the coolant. I told him I thought it was a function of time, not use.

Then finally he said an hour shop time and two gallons of coolant. Ok.. I left. But I don’t think they take it seriously enough for me to even be sure that they would do the job, and not just “say” they did.. I will do it myself.

An I wrong to think changing coolant after 4 years is advisable?
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ BX Coolant Change - Unheard Of???? #2  
No, you're not wrong. My auto dealer tests the coolant to see if it still has enough anticorrosives left. That way you don't need to guess when it should be changed. I don't know if tractor dealers are that sophisticated. I guess you could take a cup full to your local auto dealer and ask them to do it. They can also do the same thing for transmission fluid to see if it's time for it to be changed. I change my car coolant every 2 years. Don't know how often the manual recommends for a BX.

/ BX Coolant Change - Unheard Of???? #3  
I agree changing the coolant every 4-5 years is a great idea. A little preventive maintanance will go a long ways.

/ BX Coolant Change - Unheard Of???? #4  
Dont mean to highjack a thread, But what brand antifreeze is every one using when they change it in thier BX.

/ BX Coolant Change - Unheard Of???? #5  
I am just using the whatever Wally World is selling brand that is pre-mixed 50/50 solution. I am changing mine every 3 yrs, but I only put about 75 hrs a year on my BX. Still looks good when it comes out. So far so good.
"If it ain't broke"...

/ BX Coolant Change - Unheard Of???? #6  
Engine coolant should be changed every 2 years regardless of usage. When you change it use a 50/50 percent solution of permanent anti freeze and distilled water. Do not use tap water. Having stated the general recommended practice, most auto manufacturers recommend 5 years or 100,000 miles with the new type of antifreezes, which are probably not used by Kubota. The bit about distilled water applies regardless.

SDT

/ BX Coolant Change - Unheard Of???? #7  
No, you are Not wrong. In my Kubota BX2200 Tractor Manual, on the scheduled Maintenance page, Kubota mandates performing a cooling system flush and coolant replacement every 2 years.

Bob

/ BX Coolant Change - Unheard Of???? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am just using the whatever Wally World is selling brand that is pre-mixed 50/50 solution. I am changing mine every 3 yrs, but I only put about 75 hrs a year on my BX. Still looks good when it comes out. So far so good.
"If it ain't broke"... )</font>

*I am just using the whatever Wally World is selling brand that is pre-mixed 50/50 solution.
*This is an outrageous price to pay for 2 quarts of water?

/ BX Coolant Change - Unheard Of???? #9  
hogboy - I would be careful on using the "whatever Wally World is selling brand".

/ BX Coolant Change - Unheard Of???? #10  
You should change it, and you should be very careful about what you replace it with. GM introduced a new type of antifreeze called DEXcool and it's allegedly causing a lot of damage to engines (perhaps it becomes very corrosive in a short period.) It's the "orange" antrifreeze. Now when you go to the autoparts store there are multiple types to buy, including some that say you can "mix with any color antifreeze" I don't know what's in those mix with any color types, so I prefer to stick to the good old green ethylene glycol. Autozone sells a generic brand that states it's just that, a traditional green ethylene glycol based antifreeze. That's what I'll be putting in my vehicles including the Kubota. Go to google and do a search on dexcool to read all about the orange stuff.