Which older small Kubota? B6100/B6200/B7100/B7200

/ Which older small Kubota? B6100/B6200/B7100/B7200 #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
Hey folks:

Looking for a little guidance. I'm considering picking up an older small Kubota. These all seem to go in around the $5K price range, give or take a bit. I'm looking for HST, 4WD, hoping to find one with a loader already installed, and would want to eventually run a small backhoe on it.

Year Model
1981 - B6100HSE/HSD
1980 - B7100HSE/HSD
1983 - B6200HSE/HSD
1983 - B7200HSE/HSD
1990 - B7100HSD
1990 - B20 TL/TLB (not sure this fits the price range, but listed it anyway)

So, a few questions about this list. I gather the older B7100's have a thermosiphon cooling system that could be problematic. I seems to recall from somewhere that some of the 6100/6200's didn't have standard PTO's? Are there any other peculiaritites of any of these particular models that I should be aware of in my search?

I'd really like to find one that has full instrumentation (fuel guage, temp guage, etc.)...does that rule out any of the above?

If it doesn't already have a loader, I'd intend to add one. Does that rule out any of the models?

I'd like to eventually run a small backhoe on it (it might actually be a micro-hoe that I build myself). Does that immediately rule out any particular model?

Good support and parts availability is a must of course...I don't want an expensive yard ornament if it breaks down. Is there anything that could break on any of these that simply can't be fixed, OR is so expensive to fix that it would cost more than just junking it and buying a different tractor? I doubt this is the case, but it's worth asking, right?

Power steering would be nice, but I seriously doubt any of these older models have that.

It's pretty much for landscaping at my own home, occasionally helping a friend or neighbor, or helping with a church project. My current power-trac probably gets used about every 2-3 weekends in the summer, and a couple times over the winter. I need something that is reliable, cranks every time without a huge fuss, and doesn't always have something wrong with it that I need to fix. I realize that's going to vary based on how well the machine has been maintained, but I believe starting with a Kubota is probably a good start.

Thanks!
Dave

/ Which older small Kubota? B6100/B6200/B7100/B7200 #2  
Dave

I can't comment on the Kubota but was concerned about your comment on the power trac. I am considering one for brush mowing on hilly areas plus a lot of other applications which seem to be better priced (fel, post hole, trencher & mini hoe) than trying to put them together with a Kubota or other machine; however, if it won't run on a regular basis, perhaps it's not worth having all the capabilities. Can you give me more feedback on your experience with Power Trac?

Bob

/ Which older small Kubota? B6100/B6200/B7100/B7200 #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( thermosiphon cooling system that could be problematic )</font>
thermosiphon is cool....no moving parts to go wrong, works fine, youve just gotta watch youre antifreeze mix ratios and ensure the passages are clear. if its worked for 30 years it good for a while to come
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 6100/6200's didn't have standard PTO's )</font>
My understanding; B6000 has a small spline/shaft and runs in reverse, the B5000 has a small spline/shaft. I believe the other models are all good.
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( full instrumentation )</font>
you will probably find lack of instrumentation on the older models, the o'l B6000 was clean except a oil pressure light
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Good support and parts availability )</font>
amazing support for old machines, i bought parts for a 30 year old kubota over the counter at local dealer at low prices
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( reliable, cranks every time without a huge fuss )</font>
i love the old kubotas, they seem bulletproof, tried and tested if you like. if all works then they are good starters every time. just be patient, glowing plugs for 90 seconds isnt unusual, the starters are also weak but work if used well (they have a knack to starting)....

remember with old tractors, they are tired and may decide to go to rest on you. expect possible random failures, but with regualr maintenence and check they should be as good as any other tractor.
when buying look around classified ads, you may find a real good tractor for next to nothing.
happy shopping (sorry i dont have any model specific stuff, im just reciting off some of the stuff i learnt when i was looking at old stuff) but nonetheless i hope it helps you

/ Which older small Kubota? B6100/B6200/B7100/B7200
Hey Bob:

On the Power-tracs, oh they're great machines...there's no doubt about it. Mine is very old (15 years) and had the crap pretty much beat out of it before I got it. I've done lots of refurbishing to it, I've gotten it into really good shape, but I'm tired of working on it . (Of course, I know the minute I sell it, nothing will probably ever need attention on it again! Murphy's Law you know.) Plus mine has the old 3-pin style of attachment means rather than the newer hydraulic quick attach plate...any attachment I were to buy, I'd have to weld tabs to, which I can do, but again that's more "working on it".

I think it's a really good and simple design, well balanced, safe, easy to work on (for the most part), is tremendously powerful and versatile, particularly for it's size. I honestly can't say enough good things about the Power-trac. I'm considering selling my old one...the question for me is whether I replace it with a later model of another Power-trac, or I replace it with a more standard CUT, thus my questions here.

My problem is that you don't see many used Power-tracs. It seems that people rarely sell them once they buy them. So I doubt there's much chance of me finding a used 422 or 425. If they were readily available used, I wouldn't even consider anything else. However, they're not, so I'm considering all possibilities. I've become really spoiled by it's easy HST drive, and I really don't want to give that up. To just buy a new PT with the same gear I have now would run me about $9-10K, and that's more than I can justify. I'm watching for used ones, but no dice yet.

Some folks are really concerned about the lack of a dealer network...however, the good news is that mechanically, these things are very similar to the Toro Dingo/RamRod/Kanga/etc. (gas or diesel engine turning hydraulic pumps which drive wheel motors or cylinders), so shops who work on those types of machines can handle work on a Power-trac with little or no difficulty. I knew nothing about hydraulics when I bought this thing, but I've learned quite a bit and it's not that hard to work on. Most of the failures for me have been hoses, that's it. I've probably replaced 1/3 - 1/2 of the hoses in the machine since I got it...I think most of the hoses were the original 15 year old ones, so many were simply leaking because they were dry-rotted! I've had to have the engine pulled out to replace the magneto and some other electrical components due to one of my own attempted repair mistakes (my old model has a pump attached to both sides of the engine, so you can't get to the magneto and starter, for instance, without pulling the engine out. I think the new models have both pumps on the same side now, and are a little easier to do engine work on.)

I personally think the Power-tracs are a pretty ideal cross between a traditional CUT and the compact utility loaders (Toro Dingo and clones). Compared in price to the Toro Dingos and clones, the smaller Power-trac's come out way ahead IMHO (less expensive, and can do more, although they're larger than the Dingo-clones, they're not skid steer and don't tear up turf). I think the larger diesel models are priced reasonably competitively with a larger traditional CUT, but I haven't really looked at any of the larger machines in detail since that's too big for my needs.

If you have any more questions, shoot me a message or email...I'd be happy to answer anything that I know. See the link in my signature for some pics and info about my old machine.

Dave

/ Which older small Kubota? B6100/B6200/B7100/B7200 #5  
Dave

Thanks for the reply - You have now restored my thoughts about PT. I am particularly attracted to the number of implements that can be used with a minimum of labor. I am somewhat concerned about the lack of dealer support but I'm also not worried about working on it myself.

Bob /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Which older small Kubota? B6100/B6200/B7100/B7200 #6  
Dave

I owned a B6100E for 20 years. Pretty much bullet proof. On the thremo-siphon be sure and keep the chaff cleaned out of the radiator.

Mine had a 3 speed PTO 540, 1000, 2000 I think. Standard size shaft. Most parts should be available at least I never had a problem finding what few I needed.

Good little machines

Vernon

/ Which older small Kubota? B6100/B6200/B7100/B7200 #7  
You did not get the B8200/B9200 on you list. I have a B8200 which is a great tractor. It is built like a tank! The B8200/9200 fit with you mention of the B7200(same years and series).

The B8200/9200 are same saize and simlar power to the B20. The B8200 is kinda the forerunner to the B20 and B2150. I have seen a few B8200's with factory hoes on them.

I would not expect that you could find a B20(or B8200) for $5k though. Maybe $8-11k, depending on location, condition ect. The hoe add's more...

My B8200 is at 975 hours. Serial number places it about '85/'86. I got it six years ago with 425 hours on it. It has only required oil changes, filters ect.

A note on loaders. I got my B8200 without a loader, and added one 4 years ago. $3k.....That was installed.

/ Which older small Kubota? B6100/B6200/B7100/B7200 #8  
Just for Information My B7100HST with loader has about 2300 hours on. No major problems that were not the direct result of abuse. The loader joy stick wore out and has been replaced. The Hst is creeping. Suspect the linkage is wearing.

The bucket bottom and cutting edge have been repaced as they wore out. Many welds on the loader broke and were redone. Any redone welds did not break again.

Egon

/ Which older small Kubota? B6100/B6200/B7100/B7200
Hey folks:

Thanks for all the posts...good info!

Can anyone tell me a little about the HST tranny's? On my old Power-trac, the HST drive is essentially a variable-displacement swash-plate type piston pump that is turned by the engine, and hydraulic wheel motors at each wheel. You push on the right treadle (swivel pedal) to go forward, push on the left pedal to go in reverse. It's single speed range of course. Given the machine is articulated (steers by bending in the middle), you obviously couldn't put a mechanical tranny it. The variable displacement pump has to bled each time I change the hydraulic oil filter (every 50 hours), which isn't that complicated, but still has to be done.

As I understand it, the HST tranny's in these models are pretty much an all-in-one unit right? The engine turns a shaft at one end which is presumably a variable displacement pump built into the housing, and one of more output shafts turn one direction of the other based a linkage to the pedals that moves the pumps swash-plate to somewhere between the full forward or full reverse position. Is that pretty accurate? On 4WD units, does the output shaft on the HST turn a gear box where the actual gear range and 2/4WD driver selection is made? Is there a seperate reservoir and filter for the HST drive, or is it all built into the transmission housing? I'm assuming there's a filter that you change periodically...is any sort of bleeding procedure necessary after each filter change? I've seen some new HST drives that are completely sealed and self-contained, but those seem to be light-duty units on lawn tractors, etc., so I'd imagine there's some maintenance required for these guys.

Thanks,
Dave

/ Which older small Kubota? B6100/B6200/B7100/B7200 #10  
Dave: I'd second what RobertN said about his B8200- mine is a gear drive, and it's been a great machine. As for more complete instrumentation, just blow $20 and some fun time to add a set, like I did. Easy, and there you go... see the attached photo.

Attachments

• 654353-console.jpg
    654353-console.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 9,037