Taylor Pittsburgh Heavy Duty Rotary Cutter

/ Taylor Pittsburgh Heavy Duty Rotary Cutter #1  

curt1

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 and Kubota ZD21
I am thinking about buying a nice used 5 foot heavy duty Taylor Pittsburgh model #270 rotary cutter from a friend. It has a 90 HP gear box and is rated for a minimum P.T.O. Hp. of 35. It looks like it has hardly been used. It also weighs 875 lbs..
I own a L3130 hydro and am wondering if anyone else has used a heavy duty model brush cutter on their L3130 or similar sized tractor? Will the tractor be able to pull it through fairly tall thick vegetation? Or will this cutter be too hard on my tractor? I have never used a rotary cutter before and am needing some help deciding on purchasing this used cutter...or should I just buy a light or medium duty brush cutter? Any help would greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Curt

/ Taylor Pittsburgh Heavy Duty Rotary Cutter #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( .....rated for a minimum P.T.O. Hp. of 35. )</font>

According to Kubota an L3130 has 31 net HP (tractor, not PTO) .

Sounds like a series 270 Taylor Pittsburgh rotary cutter which requires 35 to 50 tractor HP which still leaves you short on HP.

Bill Tolle

/ Taylor Pittsburgh Heavy Duty Rotary Cutter #3  
my dealer sold me a tiller rated at 35 to 50 hp.[3130gst] ccm here at tbn does the same. i would think the mower would be easier on the tractor than a tiller. i'm kind of confused by hp ratings my self. the sq 600 i have is rated for 25to 40pto hp 522#. the tip speed on that mower is slower than the bush hog but the blades are thicker and wider ie heavier the answer to your question is i don't know.

/ Taylor Pittsburgh Heavy Duty Rotary Cutter
Thanks Bill and Willywildes for the information. I have had a couple of people who live near me tell me my machine should easily pull a 5 foot brush cutter. I have been wondering...the reason for asking the experts here. I may need a lighter duty 60 inch brush cutter.

Curt

/ Taylor Pittsburgh Heavy Duty Rotary Cutter #5  
I will also say my sq60 will pull down pretty good sometimes going up hills cutting 3' oats no brush and you have a couple less HP with the hydro. so you would be pushing it hard. which means going slowwwer. and that's no fun. Good luck.