dumb question

/ dumb question #1  

Kguy

this is a dumb question so be patient with me.
I have a Kubota B6200D and it has a compression release.
what is it's purpose and when would I use it?(forgive the stupidity)

/ dumb question #2  
There are a few reasons to have a compression release… But I know if I had one on my Kubota engines I would use them every time I changed the oil filter or the fuel filter… you can take the load off the starter and crank the engine to fill the filters before starting…
PS I see you are new… Welcome to a VERY good information, and all around fun board /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif…. KennyV.

/ dumb question #3  
Welcome!

In the old old days, when we hand cranked tractors, the compression release was a necessity to get them turned over. John Deere for sure had the compression releases, not sure about others. The idea was you opened them, hand cranked the motor, started the motor, then closed the releases to get the power mode.

I didn't know more modern motors had them............

Ron

/ dumb question #4  
As other have say to make the engine turn over easier. It relieves a lot of strain on the battery & starter. Some of the newer chainsaws have them cause the compression ratio is so high and they can be a real "bear" to pull start without it.

/ dumb question #5  
When I bought a used B7100 a couple of years ago the delaer said the compression release was used if you ran out of fuel. It would allow you to crank it until it was primed without running the battery down.

My advice: Don't run out of fuel. Did that only once on the 7100, will not do that on the B7510.

Bill Tolle

/ dumb question #6  
I owned a B6100E and used the compression release when the battery was weak. Would get it spinning and suddenly push the release closed and if the glow plugs were warm it would start.

Vernon

/ dumb question #7  
Yeah, like everyone stated, it holds the exhaust valve open a little to reduce the compression and in turn make the engine easier to spin over. It seems like a silly thing on a diesel which relys on compression to ignite the mixture.
Yanmar marine single cylinder diesels have one. It is hand actuated and will allow you to crank the engine fast enough with your other hand to get it going after you leave the running lights on overnight and flatten the battery.
Kohler gasoline engines (k301 definitely) have an internal automatic compression release that is spring actuated and flyweight de-actuated once the revs come up.
Large displacement motorcycles of old had them too and probably saved a few knees.
If all I had to work with was a 6 volt battery, I would design a compression release into every diesel.
A compresion release allows use of smaller and less costly starting components. On hard starting engines it will prolong the starter and the battery life.
Use it whenever starting, it won't hurt anything.
I'm rambling. I'm finished.
Best of luck,
Martin