hst hydraulic fluid change

/ hst hydraulic fluid change #1  

troweller

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 3010, Farmall Cub
this is the first time that I have tried to change the hydraulic fluid in my L3010 hst. I am having 4 problems.
1-I can't get the rear drain plugs on rear axels off.
2-I can't find the strainer, I had TNT installed, I does the strainer have a picture of a book on it.
3-I can't get the transmission filter off. I tried Big Azz channel locks and a regular oil filter wrench.
4-the hst filter has a magnet ring, is this neccessary.

/ hst hydraulic fluid change #2  
I see this has gone for a couple of days without anyone making suggestions, so I'll do the best I can here.
1. Drain plugs. You don't say why they won't come off. Are they frozen or has the head been rounded off or what? If they are just frozen, you might try some penetrating oil and some gentle tapping with a drift.
2. The strainer is hard to find and the picture in the shop manual is not very helpful. It's on the right side of the tractor, inboard and a little behind the big spin-off trans filter on that side. There is a bunch of plumbing up in there with similar hex-head bolts and end caps, so you may have to figure out which one it is by trial and error. My tractor is a different model than your 3010, so I can't describe what yours looks like exactly. I don't think the TNT would change the layout any, however.
3. Oh yes, the filter. It's a bear, allright. They all seem to come from the factory like that. Kubota must have the son of Godzilla installing the filters on the assembly line or something. If you search this forum, you may find some interesting innovations people have tried to break them loose the first time. My approach involved a strap wrench, a tow cable and the hitch on my truck. This was probably not the safest thing to do, but a short tug - just a few inches! - did the trick.
4. Don't know about the magnet. I guess they have it to catch any particles of metal. That's probably a good thing.

It sounds like maybe the juice in your 3010 has never been changed. How many hours do you have on it? Although the factory recommends regular changing, some dealers will say that if the fluid is not low and doesn't look discolored from overheating, it should be OK. I would rather play it safe myself.

By the way, welcome to TBN! I hope there is something here you can use.

/ hst hydraulic fluid change
I finally found the strainer out, after removing the hst pedal spring.
I got the transmission filter out, with a hammer and chisel.
Got the rear wheel housing hydro fluid ou with a 6 point socket.
My tractor has 200 hours on it. At 50 hours, the dealer supposedly did the service when they put rear hydraulics in for TNT and backhoe, which leaked like a sieve, until I got the remplacement flanges that were 4x as thick. I kind of wonder if they serviced my tractor, which I paid $$. At least now I know how to do it myself.