B7800 won't start

/ B7800 won't start #1  

avorancher

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800, RTV900
B7800 won\'t start

I started my B7800 and let it idle for a couple minutes this morning, then shut if off for about 15 minutes. Now, when I try to start it, it fires and turns over, belches black smoke and immediately dies. If I hold the starter on, it can't quite run on it's own but I can hear it firing. (has fuel in tank :))

I waited a couple hours in case it was flooded, but it still acts the same.

Ideas?

/ B7800 won't start #2  
Re: B7800 won\'t start

I'm no expert by any means but how does the fuel filter look. My massey ferg. did that when the filter plugged up

/ B7800 won't start #3  

What is the history of the Diesel in the tractor's tank? Just started after a long winter's rest. Just filled from a jug I had since last year. Recently refilled and ran with no problems. Just refilled from a fresh tank. Ran last week on the last year's tank just fine.

Water, fungus, dirt are all culprits and filters gets some of 'em but not all. A little history will help with diagnosing fuel problems (if any).

/ B7800 won't start #4  

Make sure the fuel tank is full of diesel fuel instead of gas /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifline. Don't laugh, $#it happens.

/ B7800 won't start

I'm sure it is diesel... and it has been running perfect until this incident. I haven't fueled up for a week or so.

Tomorrow I'll check out the filter to make sure it isn't plugged... not getting fuel would make it act like this.

/ B7800 won't start

Found the problem.... the air cleaner was packed tight with a mouse nest and it must have been blocking nearly all the air. As soon as I removed it, the orange beast started up right away. This also explains why I've been seeing a little back exhaust smoke when pulling loads lately.

Mice are particularly bad this year due to a wet winter. They have chewed the automatic choke wire on my pickup, and one died in the heater fan of my car. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ B7800 won't start #7  

Just something to remember on any engine, black smoke means it's getting plenty of fuel and not enough air therefore not having a complete combustion in the cylinder.

That was one smart mouse to be able to get in the air filter housing /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ B7800 won't start #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( and one died in the heater fan of my car.

)</font>
OH BOY! I BET THAT SMELLED GREAT /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Glad you found the problem

/ B7800 won't start #9  

those pesky little bastards...