4wd quit working

/ 4wd quit working #1  

Gamemaster

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2350DT
Doing some loader work with turf tires and get some 4wd spin now and then so I knew the 4wd was working but was on a down-slope dumping rock and could not back out. The rear tire was spinning and nothing up-front. I locked in the differential and put bucket down for rear-traction and backed out. Put the tractor in the air, supported it and engaged 4wd, but only have 2wd. Didn't hear or notice a difference when it lost the 4wd. Any comments/ideas ?

/ 4wd quit working #2  
You don't say what model tractor you have. I had the fwd go out on a BX2200 a few years ago. It turned out to be the shear pin/roll pin that held the u joint yoke on the front end. The pin snapped, fell out , and the yoke dropped back off the splined shaft on the front axle. It didn't drop to the ground because of the plastic shield covering the assembly. Is the front drive shaft from the trans to the front axle turning?

/ 4wd quit working
The model is L2350DT. I couldn't tell if the shaft was moving because of the protective casing surrounding it. This is my 1st tractor so I have not disassembled anything yet. Only thing I did for maintenance was change all filters/fluids + greasing.

/ 4wd quit working #4  
I've been away from the computer for a few days. Don't know about any other models except BX2200 and the BX22 I have now. Any luck finding the problem?

/ 4wd quit working #5  
Similar thing just happened to me today. The problem was a sheer-pin that sheered, letting the front driveshaft U-joint pull free (and fall onto my mid-mount mower). Exactly the same symptoms you describe.

/ 4wd quit working #6  
Funny you all mentioned the roll pin holding the u-joint. Happened to notice mine (BX-2200) was almost backed out fully. Tapped it in and will keep an eye on it.
Dave

/ 4wd quit working #7  
I would replace the bearing unless it is still fully intact and there is no damage to it. It surprises me that there is no retainer E clip on the shaft to keep the cross bearing from coming off the shaft when the shear pin breaks. Look for a groove in the side of the shaft near the very end. It might be cut into the shaft, but the E clip wasn't installed for some reason. I know that is how the cross bearing is retained on the grass catcher if the shear pin should break.