Grading Box blade or Grader Blade?

/ Box blade or Grader Blade? #1  

tcajun

Tractor
Kubota B7510HST
I am a Newbie to the tractor world and just got my first tractor. Kubota B7510/FEL and RFM 60" Woods. At the time of the purchase I did not know what I would need to do driveway work etc. I ask the dealer and he advised the each device had a difference purpose. What I want to know is what are the difference use of each and can one do most of the same and which one.

/ Box blade or Grader Blade? #2  
I also wondered about this at first. I purchased both about 10 years ago and found that for general maintenance the BB worked best. I could crown the road a little and it filled holes very well. The Scrape Blade seemed to be better for shaping the road and cutting the edges, but more for a new road that didn't have gravel in it already. That my take these days and I don't own a Scrape Blade any more....

Hope this helps.

/ Box blade or Grader Blade? #3  
If you have a long road (mine is l500 feet) you really need both. A box blade is very good for moving gravel and smoothing the surface when you add gravel. It is good for eliminating piles of gravel where the truck dumps unevenly. However, the box blade is stationary and cannot be pivoted or angled like a scrape blade and is not as good for working and rearranging gravel on an established road. You can position your scrape blade at about 45 degrees and drop the corner down on one side and take gravel from the edges of the road where it tends to accumulate and move it back into the middle. Then, you can reverse the blade and gently smooth up the surface. It is fast and easy. The two implements were designed for different jobs and neither will eliminate a need for the other. If I had to choose only one implement, I would go with the scrape blade because my primary need is for road work and I could and have been able to get by with only a scrape. I don't believe I could get by with only a box blade, however, without buying a load of gravel a lot more often. If you buy a scrape, I recommend one which is adjustable 6 ways. I found a used one which is adjustable 6 ways for $125 which works great. It is rusty but I will never need another one.

/ Box blade or Grader Blade? #4  
I have a B7510 and have both. If you buy a straight blade get a 6' so it will extend beyond your tires even when angled. I almost bought a 5' until I realized that it would not cover the tire tracks when angled.

BTW, I just bought the 6' straight blade from Jasper Farm & Ranch in Jasper, TX. It is a 6 way and I paid $335 + tax. It is a "Modern" brand (made in Beaumont, TX) and seems to do a good job.

Bill Tolle

/ Box blade or Grader Blade? #5  
I have a box blade. It is a 42" really heavy duty Land Pride model. I find it a PITA to use but sometimes it is worth the hassle. Having a lightweight (1200lb), 15hp tractor with a manually adjusted top link for the blade. That makes it difficult to find the right combination of angle for what I'm doing at the time. It works good for gravel. I would sell it for a loss if I found anyone who wanted a 42" box blade. I think for the money a rear scraper blade is more useful and a better deal. I don't have a rear blade yet.

/ Box blade or Grader Blade? #6  
I've used both a blade and a boxblade, and I prefer the BB. The BB is great for my established gravel drive, and for grooming my walking trails. A big advantage is the boxblades sidewalls, they help eliminate gouging, and they prevent excessive side spill. I literally drop it down and drive. The blade is perhaps more flexible, you can adjust the angle, and it can be rotated fully around, but with my limited experiece, I found a blade difficult.

/ Box blade or Grader Blade? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the box blade is stationary and cannot be pivoted or angled)</font>

Normally this is true. The installation of a Top-N-Tilt will allow you to do this however.