FEL install, pain in the -------

/ FEL install, pain in the ------- #1  

bikemiser

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1830
ok I got my new BX1830. Dealer demo'd removing and installing FEL. It came off pretty good but took 3 people to get it back on. He apologized and said it must not be on level ground. Is it easy for the inexperienced person to install if it is on level ground ? Thanks for any commennts.

/ FEL install, pain in the ------- #2  
On my bx22 it is a pain also if not on level ground. It takes me about 5 minutes to install and about 30 seconds to remove. The vertical supports are a killer for me to get down far enough to install the pins….Don’t feel bad…

/ FEL install, pain in the ------- #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ok I got my new BX1830. Dealer demo'd removing and installing FEL. It came off pretty good but took 3 people to get it back on. He apologized and said it must not be on level ground. Is it easy for the inexperienced person to install if it is on level ground ? Thanks for any commennts. )</font>

I've had the FEL on my bx1500 on and off a couple times. I keep the FEL in the garage on a concrete floor. I still need the manual just to keep the steps straight (too much junk in my head to remember, I guess /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

My floor is solid and level, but it still can be a chore to get the holes for the mounting pins lined up. Last time I needed to "persuade" the right side pin into place with a hammer. I have the same problem sometimes when mounting my Meyers snow plow to my truck, so I'm kind of used to it, I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would not want to try to mount the FEL if both the tractor and FEL were not on a SOLID, level surface. I can easily see where settling of a loader that sits outside on ground would be a major PITA. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

My advice to an inexperienced user is to take your time, follow the steps in the manual and and keep the FEL and approach for the tractor on a SOLID surface. Also, be mindful of the hydraulic hoses as you approach the FEL; you don't want to "pinch" them. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ FEL install, pain in the ------- #4  
I do the FEL at least once on my BX2200 because I don't like mowing with it. I'd say it takes me less than a couple of minutes each way on a level concrete pad. The trick to get it on easy for me is to just uncurl the bucket enough to hook up the uprights and start raising the front end.

It can be a REAL bear if you leave the FEL in the sunshine and the pressure builds up in the lines. Then hooking the lines is next to impossible.

/ FEL install, pain in the ------- #5  
I use a BX2230 but a Woods FEL not the Kubota. I think it is about the same as the Kubota but the install and re-install is extremely easy. I can do either in about 5 minutes. The removal is longer only since I have to get off the tractor to lower the supports. The install is really only a few minutes until you have to get off to raise the supports.

/ FEL install, pain in the ------- #6  
I bought one of those cheap flat furniture dollies at TSC to rest the FEL on and a couple Murray deck wheels w/ hooked pins as rollers for the drop legs and it takes less than a couple minutes each to either mount or dismount the FEL.
It also makes it easy to move the dismounted FEL around for storage on my flat concrete floor.

What I've found is that one side is easier to connect than the other. Generally I pin down the easy side then continue to use the hydraulics to manuver the other. For me it doesn't take that long.

A word of caution tho, the dollies raises the FEL so the brackets just barely clear, but they do clear enough. This setup wouldn't work in dirt or gravel.

When my dealer demo'd mounting and dismounting the FEL & BH he did it in the grass and needless to say, it was a PITA. Doing it on a hard flat surface is the way to go.

Volfandt

/ FEL install, pain in the ------- #7  
It never gets fun, but it does get easier. Hard level ground is imperitive, though. I take mine off on my driveway's concrete pad and there are places where it isn't level - I don't put it in those spots any more /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Put some colored paint on the lines to make it easy to put them back in the right places. On mine they put some colored stickers that fell off right away. After spending a few sessions swapping lines around because the bucket would go down when I wanted up I wised up to that one /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

It really does make it a *lot* easier to mow with the bucket off, both from the standpoint of not forgetting it is out there when you are swinging past the garage /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif and if you are on slopes the weight is just a bit on the high side for stability reasons.

But I don't take it off unless I have to. One of the handiest tools on the tractor /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

/ FEL install, pain in the ------- #8  
My first encounter with taking it off on uneven ground, I thought I was going to have to get the dealer out there to get it back on. I even had a winch in the tree trying to lift it into place.
Ever since then, on flat level ground, it takes about two minutes, the whole changeover from mower to tractor takes about 10 minutes, I no longer have want for a second BX just to mow with.
Wasn't looking forward to running that idea past the wife anyhow
/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ FEL install, pain in the ------- #9  
If you want a real PITA make sure you mix up the lines and keep the manual in the house in a safe and inaccessible place. You will really go nuts and it doesn't matter if you are on concrete or grass. LOL Seriously, always keep the manual nearby no matter how many times you do it. I took the pages to Office Depot and had them laminated. Its better than a security blanket.

/ FEL install, pain in the ------- #10  
Can you post a few picks of the murray deck wheels. Sounds like a great idea but I can picture how you mounted them.