2005 BX23 using 60" mmm, cut in high or low range?

/ 2005 BX23 using 60" mmm, cut in high or low range? #1  

rpalmer

2005 BX23 using 60\" mmm, cut in high or low range?

When I was shopping, I was told by every dealer that the 1500 would only cut grass in low range on sloping ground. So that info helped sway me to the BX23. Well, it will only cut in LOW range on slopes.... I am left thinking that the 1500 would have NOT cut at all....
I really like my BX23 and wish I'd had it 20 years ago. It has disappointed me a little, but makes up for it in other ways.
"and yes, the FEL and BH are off when mowing" The brake is also off.

/ 2005 BX23 using 60" mmm, cut in high or low range? #2  
Re: 2005 BX23 using 60\" mmm, cut in high or low range?

My whole yard is sloping, varying from 5 to 20 degrees. Most of the time I'm in High in 2wd. On the steeper portions, I have to switch to Low and 4wd.

/ 2005 BX23 using 60" mmm, cut in high or low range? #3  

Part of my back field is one long slope, approx 1.5 acres, and I have no problem at all mowing in high gear. I rarely use low. I'll guess the drop is somewhere around 6 to 8 feet on a run of aprox 500'. I also have a tall incline that is part of the retaining wall for a small pond and the BX23 handles it in high also.

Either you're slopes are much more steep than mine, or your brake is on or sticking or you're mowing at too low an RPM or theres something wrong with your BX23.

You can see my slope in the background.

Volfandt

Attachments

• 669383-BX23 & burnpile4.jpg_0014.jpg
    669383-BX23 & burnpile4.jpg_0014.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 285
   / 2005 BX23 using 60" mmm, cut in high or low range? #4  

I don't mow with mine but my ground is so rough I don't think I could mow in high range anyway. At least without risking getting thrown off the thing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 2005 BX23 using 60" mmm, cut in high or low range? #5  

Does the manual say anything about mowing.

/ 2005 BX23 using 60" mmm, cut in high or low range? #6  

Lot's of mowing, slopes up to 20+ degrees. I use high speed most of the time. There is one spot where I use turtle speed but 'cause of safety not 'cause the tractor can't handle it at that speed. Also I have some rough mowing, old fields turned to lawns, I just throw on the seat belt and let'er fly. After I.m done my belly and legs are sore from bouncing around with the belt on but I Get-Er-Done in a fraction of the time. All this with the BH and FEL off.

/ 2005 BX23 using 60" mmm, cut in high or low range? #7  

I mow usually with the bagger attached and for it to perform the best, wide open throttle is necessary. Lower throttle setting do not generate the maximum action from the bagger or the deck (54").

With that setting high gear is all that's ever 'needed' but sometimes for edging or other purposes I'll use low, just for more control.

Edit: Don't be afraid of running 'Full Throttle' on these machines, that is when you get the actual PTO operating rpm's. They are designed to run at that setting indefinately.

/ 2005 BX23 using 60" mmm, cut in high or low range? #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When I was shopping, I was told by every dealer that the 1500 would only cut grass in low range on sloping ground. So that info helped sway me to the BX23. Well, it will only cut in LOW range on slopes.... I am left thinking that the 1500 would have NOT cut at all....
I really like my BX23 and wish I'd had it 20 years ago. It has disappointed me a little, but makes up for it in other ways.
"and yes, the FEL and BH are off when mowing" The brake is also off. )</font>
I've never had the FEL and BH off of mine.

/ 2005 BX23 using 60" mmm, cut in high or low range? #9  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I don't mow with mine )</font>
What do you mow with?

/ 2005 BX23 using 60" mmm, cut in high or low range? #10  

I mow with a Dixon zero turn