Engine Racing at 540 PTO RPM

/ Engine Racing at 540 PTO RPM #1  

JimME

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4300DT
When I set the throttle so that the engine rpm is around 2,400 for 540 PTO rpm it sounds like it's really racing and isn't enjoyable to listen to. Does everyone run the engine this fast or does it depend on which PTO implement you're using?

Jim in FL

/ Engine Racing at 540 PTO RPM #2  
Jim, 2400 RPM is hardly racing. Don't worry about that, 2400 RPM is about right. You will get accustomed to it. All 540 PTO implements should be run somewhere in this PTO speed, while not critical, I generally choose to run mine just under it. Rat...

/ Engine Racing at 540 PTO RPM #3  
Jim, I don't like the noise, but the machine is built to run like that all day; day after day. Doesn't hurt anything but your ears./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ Engine Racing at 540 PTO RPM #4  
It doesn't take long to get used to. Nothing like the sweet sound of engaging the PTO,and bringing the implement up to speed.

/ Engine Racing at 540 PTO RPM #6  
With my B2400 and 6 foot mower, I run the engine about 2150 RPM. If my mower doesn't need all the power at PTO speed then I'm not going to waste the fuel-IMHO.

/ Engine Racing at 540 PTO RPM #7  
Ear muffs with radio is nice for mowing.
bruce

/ Engine Racing at 540 PTO RPM #8  
I used to run engine rpms around 1800 instead of the 2600 rpm needed for a 540 rpm on the PTO since the mower did not seem to "need" the power. It was recommended that I try it at the higher rpm and found that the mowing job was much cleaner (rotary mower) due to the higher blade speed. Now I always mow at 2600 rpm.

DaveV

/ Engine Racing at 540 PTO RPM #9  
Most farmers in my area (eastern South Carolina) run at 2000 - 2200 rpm, and don't seem to have any problems (maybe one would if a real fast rpm, and sharp blades, were critical, such as with grass mowing).

/ Engine Racing at 540 PTO RPM #10  
I have a MMM on a B7500 - I don't get a good cut unless its around 2200 or so