what do I need BX1500/1830/2230

/ what do I need BX1500/1830/2230 #1  

koyote

Tractor
BX2230
We are getting ready to trade in our 1985 Cub Cadet 1512 Diesel to hopefully a Kubota. Would like input from you on what size should we consider. Our Cub was great for last house, but now mowing more acreage and lots of hills and drumlins. We have a Ford 1710 4x4 with a brush mower and front bucket which I do alot of rough mowing with. However Ford has a hard time coming down the hill. Have slid it a couple of times. Most of the hill gets weedeated(12hours). So new mower will only require mower deck and a brush mower. No other attachments needed. So what would you recommend. Need info to arm myself with against husband because he would consider going for one of those green machines that I don't like. I like orange. Also want to arm myself against the salespeople.

/ what do I need BX1500/1830/2230 #2  
Welcome to TBN. You may want to fill out your profile so we have an idea where you are located, how much land you have that requires mowing, etc. It helps to know this information when giving recommendations.

/ what do I need BX1500/1830/2230
Hopefully I now have a profile!

/ what do I need BX1500/1830/2230 #4  
Do I understand correctly that you are keeping the Ford and selling the Cub Cadet?

Of this 40 acres, how much of it do you plan to cut as turf with the new Kubota? How much of it do you plan to rough cut with the new Kubota? Do I understand correctly that the Ford has a rough cutter, but that it cannot cut the hill because the hill is too steep? How steep is this hill? What are the soil conditions? Is the hill usually wet, dry, mushy, slippery, etc.? Is the brush just weeds, or do you need to cut sapplings? While in the rough, does the tractor need to go over any stumps or fallen logs, (please specify for both flat places and for the hill)? Does the Ford have turf, industrial, or ag tires? For the Kubota, were you thinking turf tires or bar tires?

I think we can give more well formed opinions if we have this information.

Correct-Ford stays, Cub goes.
Turf mowing with Kubota about 3 acres. Rough cut 6-10 acres. Will need to fit between my Xmas trees. Have been mowing them with an ATV with pull behind mower. Does a good job, just can't back up with that mower. Another mower for sale.
The Ford has a Woods brush mower on 3pt hitch. Yes hill is extremely steep in someplaces. Those areas I will still weed eat for I fear for my safety. It's actually hard to stand in that area. We have cleared the hill. There are some short stumps that I will be able to raise deck over and continue to mow. Brush is just weeds and locust seedlings that would like to take over. There are trees on the hill that I will have to steer around. Soil conditions-dry. The Kubota would be treated with care. No stumps or logs to hit, will leave that to the Ford. The Ford loves chomping wood. Ford has ag. Kubota would most likely need bar tires.

/ what do I need BX1500/1830/2230 #6  
My fear on the BX series for you is ground clearence. Even with bar tires the front and belly are low to the ground for your place.
A B-series would get you ground clearence and offer you a 72" MMM. Have you looked at Kubota's web site?
Now if you have done your HW and you know the BX series is definately what you want I'll say this. For cost only the 1830 series doesn't make sense. For a difference of about $500 you can get a 2230. The difference between the 1500 and 2230 is a few grand. The 1500 is around 10k and the 2230 is around 12.

Rather set on the BX, but will look look into clearence. Thanks for that point. The Cub would do the job if it was 4X4 and maybe a little heavier. Plus power steering would be a godsend. So we don't want to go bigger than the 2230. Husband will push toward the 2230, but I do all the mowing so I have a lot to say on this.

/ what do I need BX1500/1830/2230 #8  
Where in upstate NY are you? Anywhere near Rochester? I could offer up a few good dealers.

I'm on the other side of Rochester, Marion. Need dealer that will take Cub on trade.
Now desperately need help. Husband just came home with New Holland book and HE is very interested in going that route. Still prefer orange!

/ what do I need BX1500/1830/2230 #10  
Koyote,
Here is a link to some pictures that may help with the decision on clearance. This is the terrain that I have been using my BX23 on. I have had very few issues on clearance.

clearing with the BX