Oil & Fuel Home heating oil = Diesel?

/ Home heating oil = Diesel? #1  

Dan_w

I was told by a heating a colling technicial... two actually, that home heating oil and diesel are the same. The only difference is the tax and the red dye. They smell the same and have the same properties on a camp fire haha.

We recently switched furnace types and have over 200 gallons home heating oil to use. That would be a lot of camp fires.

I am hesitant to put this in my tractor but if it really is the same I can use the stuff that I paid about $400 for. Please let me know what you know.

Thanks

/ Home heating oil = Diesel? #2  
This has been discussed at length, many times up in the fuel/ lubricants section.
Different parts of the country have higher/lower quality to their diesel and fuel oil supplies.
If you use it from a large storage tank, remember that their is likely sludge near the bottom, so be sure to filter it.

/ Home heating oil = Diesel? #3  
I have used nothing in my BX 22 (3 years now) except heating oil. After some checking I was convinced it was the same stuff, and low and behold when it was delivered, the receipt had "Dyed #2 diesel" printed on it.

It is true that the over-the-road diesel is being supplied in some areas with a lower sulphur content, but the hifgher sulphur stuff is actually a bit better for the engine. I would use heating oil without reservation. Just make sure what is in your tank is clean.

paul

/ Home heating oil = Diesel? #4  
Maybe you should set up the old furnace oil tank to be your new tractor fuel tank for the long term. The cost per gallon of delivered heating oil should be much less than the cost of road diesel. Cheaper for campfires and tractoring.

Set it up out of the sun with a filter/water seperator, pump (or gravity), and fill hose and you're in biz.

/ Home heating oil = Diesel? #5  
Actually I never had an oil furnace. I have a 50 gal drum in my shed, with the tractor, and I purchased an electric fuel oil pump from Northern Equipment. Has a 6' hose with nozzle and runs off of a 12 volt battery. Makes fueling up a quick and easy job. I also now have a diesel generator for backup power, so for that as well, I usually have lots of reserve fuel at the ready.

Around here heating oil runs 50-60 cents cheaper per gallon than OTR diesel.

paul

/ Home heating oil = Diesel?
Thanks for the replys! I am confident now that as long as I filter it I am good to go!

/ Home heating oil = Diesel? #7  
Dan, you don't wanna use that stuff, I'll come take it off your hands. Just being a friend, please, don't thank me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Home heating oil = Diesel? #8  
While diesel fuel is the same as fuel oil, don't forget the distinction between #1 and #2. The diesel fuel used everywhere in summer and used throughout moderate climate areas in winter is #2. #1 is the same stuff but with an anti-gelling agent added. #1 is used as diesel in very cold climates in winter. Most all fuel oil is also #1 for obvious reasons. I do not remember ever hearing of #2 being used as home heating fuel oil. Has anybody out there used #2 for heating?

/ Home heating oil = Diesel?
Here is another question probably asked a 1000 times. Does diesel go bad like gasoline? Should I have a preservative in it?

/ Home heating oil = Diesel? #10  
first answer yes we get #2 heating oil in western PA. usually mixed with kero, and add 2 quarts anti gel per 250 gal tank.

second i spoke to to different heating oil suppliers one said it was ok to use other said there is long term issues with using it . I have on occasion used heating oil in the BX22. I noticed a loss of power, more smoke and worse smell, to the point of a headache from fumes. For what these tractors cost I would be hesitant to use it all the time, at least until the warranty period is over.