Slow leak, no biggy right?

/ Slow leak, no biggy right? #1  

looch

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2601
Wrong.

I now have 27 hours on my B7500. At around 15 hours I noticed that the rear left tire seemed to be low on air. It was - 10psi. I was a little concerned, but I decided to just pump it up and keep an eye on it.

Today it was low again so I pumped it up and decided to start searching in between the treads. Low and behold - a friggin' plug!/w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif Now I'm supposed to convince the dealer that it was delivered like this. Hindsight is 20/20 and I wish I would have conducted my investigation at 15 hours. At the time I thought it was probably a nail (re-shingled the garage roof two years ago). It never crossed my mind that they would deliver a brand new tractor with a plugged tire. I'm going to ask that the tire be replaced. Is this unreasonable? I sure don't think it is.

Your thoughts?

18-55424-kubota.jpg

/ Slow leak, no biggy right? #2  
You've got my blessing.

If they don't make good, its time to find a new service dealer and complain directly to Bota Headquarters.

Go get em!

Bx2200-(Altered,-Crop).jpg

Winnipeg, Manitoba
canadagoose.gif

2001 BX2200 (26 hrs)

/ Slow leak, no biggy right? #3  
Paul,

You paid for a new product with no defects. That's not what you got. I sure would bring this to the dealer's attention and ask for a new tire.

/ Slow leak, no biggy right? #4  
Paul,

I don't know that I'd be that upset about it. Things happen. They plugged it. Heck, if I got a new car with a plugged tire, I don't think I would worry about it too much either.

However, they apparently didn't do the job correctly. That's a different matter. If they're going to plug a tire, at least do the job correctly. Tractor tires don't see the kind if stress that a car tire does, so I would expect a plug to work well on a tractor.

The GlueGuy

/ Slow leak, no biggy right? #5  
I'm with GlueGuy, it isn't a big deal. Maybe get them to fix it RIGHT. But, get a new tire, no. If you aren't comfortable with a plug, tell them that you want them to take it off and fix it with a patch. This DOES needs to be done at their cost and that includes travel expense for the tractor, if they don't have the tire guy come to your place.
Everyone wants to get the best price on everything that they buy, but yet they want to make it as costly for the dealer as possible. I don't think that the two go together real well.
Heck, I have two plugs in one of my front tires, no big deal. The front tires take a whole lot more stress that the back tires do. I haven't had any problem with them.

18-32460-1250sig.gif

/ Slow leak, no biggy right? #6  
I agree with Jerry...

Who knows... maybe the plug was installed "out of the barn" at the factory... the dealer may not even be aware of...

I'd maintain good PR with the dealer, I'm sure they could make it up somewhere along the line... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Slow leak, no biggy right? #7  
Just another side, Got a call from a fellow who I sold a skid steer to. It was two years ago, told me he has had two flats on it. Upon looking at the size tube in the tires they where too small. Wanted to know why we put in two small of tubes. We never put the tubes in, neither does the manufacturer. I did get the unit from another dealer and after digging through paper work found during his dealer prep I had paid for them! Now twice!!! Life is not always as it seems. Take the tire off and let him put a tube in I bet he will.

/ Slow leak, no biggy right?
Tire guy, eh. Yeah, I think that would ease my concerns. I'd settle for a professionally repaired tire. I'll be calling the dealer later today to see he will do about it. Thanks.

18-55424-kubota.jpg

/ Slow leak, no biggy right? #9  
Paul,

A plugged tire on a new vehicle, tractor or car, is "not" acceptable, especially from a safety perspective. There have been many instances where service stations have been sued because the remedy to a flat or slow leak was a poorly installed plug. Keep in mind that under load the tire could pop, and given the right circumstances, the tractor could tip. At that point they would be pulled into any and all legal arguements, like it or not.

I think if you come at it from this angle the dealer and Kubota would have to respond in your favor. Also, once you've brought it to their attention and if the worst case scenario were to happen, they can't claim that they were unaware of the problem. The primary concern is a safe operating piece of equipment.

Let them know of the problem, and take it from there.

/ Slow leak, no biggy right? #10  
Throw a fit! You bought a new tractor with new tires and not a new tractor with a plugged tire. A leaking tire causes rims to rust when fluid is used as ballast. I'd contact everybody from a preacher to the police if I had a plugged tire (very unsafe to begin with) on my brand new tractor with brand new tires.

Bluegrass, Pick It Up!