B7800 hsd or L3400

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #11  
I have 5 acres my self and just recently purchased an L3400 with FEL for 14K. I think it is not too much tractor at all. In fact I can mow the entire 5 acres in about 4 hours.:D

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #12  
gilliganfarmer said:
Thanks for that measurement.

Are ag tires and industrial tires for the B7800 the same width?

They are not the same widths! The industrial are normally twice the widths and they don't have all the adjustments that the ag tires do for crop work.

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #13  
gilliganfarmer said:
Hey tractor lovers,

I know this was a topic back in 2005 but I have some new questions. I am new at this compact tractor scene. When much younger I drove larger tractors to cut sorgum and large brush.

I am looking for a 30 to 40 hp barely used kubota for my small veg farm. I use permanent raised beds and I want a tractor that can straddle the beds.

I have two main questions this morning. What is the actual distance between the inside edge of the back tires (ag or industrial tires)? How adjustable is that spacing?

I have been checking out the B7800 and the L3240. For tilling in a clay loam what style of pto(live continuous or independent) would work the best and last the longest?

Thanks

If at all possible go with the L-3240 chassis.

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #14  
As usual, the type work a machine will be doing would dictate the better choice. If the tractor is straight lining out in a field why would a person need/want a hydro trans. or the opposite for loader work. The same w/tire type, horse power, hydraulic pump capacity, bucket - no bucket, remotes, weight, width, height, comfy seat, surround sound, 50" plasma TV...

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #15  
art said:
If at all possible go with the L-3240 chassis.

Time is money and I am feeling that I would get more done with the 3240.

Why do you recomend that chassis?

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #16  
gilliganfarmer said:
Time is money and I am feeling that I would get more done with the 3240.

Why do you recomend that chassis?

The ability to have the heavier chassis for tillage would be a plus for what you could pull. The ag tires on the L-series I think will be more flexible for the widths that you might need to straddle your crops. Not knowing exactly what you are working with or doing does limit what suggestions I might be able to make to assist you. I would be available for a consultation field trip in January or February if you could wait that long.he-he

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #17  
I was waiting for someone to make an offer. Unfortunately I would like to get a tractor as soon as I could. Winter is our best growing time down here.

I am having a hard time deciding what to buy but I see that this is a comon problem in this modern age. Someone I know is selling a 30 hp Kioti and I cecked out the reviews and it looks like a good half of the owners really are dissapointed with their machines. not so with the kubota reviews.

I will stick with the Kubota world. I need a machine that will last.

I think the hardest thing I would do with my tactor would be the subsoiling with a ripper.

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #18  
Depending on the amount of the sub soiling or ripping compared to other chores would depend on the heft of the tractor needed. If you were to do the ripping just once every two years and you only had two acres then for sure I wouldn't buy a tractor around that chore. For that you would have to buy the ripper for the tractor that fit the bulk of it's duties.

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #19  
Ripping is not going to happen too often. Shallow tilling will happen alot and hilling the beds back up after the tiller pass.

All my beds are about 100 ft long.

I have found a 1998 L2500 in texas at Victoria Oliver for 9900 that looks good. one user a mechanic and 163 hrs. They also have a L3130 for 13,200(both with FEL). I am having a hard time figuring out which one to get.

Or a new 3400.........

One more thought. Do you think a HST transmission would be much harder to fix than say the glide shift or the sliding gear for your general tractor mechanic?.

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #20  
I'm not going to say a hydro won't break, but I will say they for sure break a lot less then gear drives of any style will. We've been selling them for over thirty years and they do hold up better then any other style transmission overall but they do have there downfalls. I'd say for the 100 foot rows that a hydro might be the best for you for overall flexibility.