Bouncing Baby Girl 1300 lbs

/ Bouncing Baby Girl 1300 lbs #1  

GSMC

I am the proud Papa of a new BX 2200. Wow what a difference from my JD GX95. This thing really performs great. It blazes through tall grass without a whimper. I racked up 3hrs cutting every stitch of available grass, and when I finished my yard, I gave my neighbor a hand. (just an excuse to show off our newest arrival). I did encounter one problem with the high-low shifter not wanting to move freely, but , it was working alright when I put her to bed.

/ Bouncing Baby Girl 1300 lbs #2  
Congratulations! You made a good purchase and will be very happy with it.

FYI - I just mowed my corn down last night - didn't bother the BX or mid-mount deck at all. The corn was at least 7 feet tall (over my head and I'm 6'7") and still green. It's a tough little tractor.

Patrick

/ Bouncing Baby Girl 1300 lbs #3  
You're kidding, right??? *LMAO!* You mowed down 7' green corn??? I'd LOVE to see a picture of that! And I thought I was bad for mowing down a 2 acre meadow that was nothing but 4' weeds... my blades didn't even need sharpening after that. How about yours after the corn?

/ Bouncing Baby Girl 1300 lbs #4  
Haven't checked the blades yet. There was no evidence of the engine straining though - so I don't imagine the blades were taking that much of a battering. Just made the first pass through slowly with the deck all the way up - pushed the corn down and cut most of it. Second pass was with the deck all the way down. It mulched it. My wife still can't believe that I mowed the corn and there is minimal evidence left - just a couple of stray stalks.

I have to admit I did it because I was annoyed that the corn crop was so bad for me this year - I think it was a crappy variety - all the Silver Queen was sold out when I bought seed this year. I had 8 rows 30 feet in length ...

/ Bouncing Baby Girl 1300 lbs #5  
Patrick,

Wish I would have known. . . . we had a bumper crop. . . .I usually plant 40 rows aprox 325' long. My sweet corn proceeds pay for my entire truck patch, gas/diesel for tractors and mowers, and finishing a hog or two for slaughter. I estimate 100 or so dozen ears got too old to sell, will just get chopped. Sold over 200 dozen, Blanched and froze total of 150 dozen (includes Aunts/Cousins/friends). Donated unknown amount to deer, ground hogs and neighbors helping themselves.

I also thought (in early July) that the sweet corn crop this year would be a washout. Lots of dry weather. The silver queen was planted last week of April and I guess there was enough moisture down deep for it to make it the whole month of june/july with out much rain.

My golden queen (yellow sweet) was planted (two rows 100' long) first week of may right next to the silver queen and it did absolutely nothing. Not even one ear developed. (Wife likes to use yellow corn in soups for color)

All we have left now is the Lima beans (first picking last Wednesday-doin great) and dig potatoes in two weeks.

What did you use to mow your corn? I usually use a 7' sickle bar to knock it down and then in November run the MMM over it to chop it.

Wish I could have sent some corn up to you!!!!

Steve

/ Bouncing Baby Girl 1300 lbs #6  
I'm afraid we've taken this one a bit off topic, but it still has some relevance to the BX2200!

I just mowed it down with the mid-mount. No sickle-bar or anything else. Admittedly I had to pull a couple of stalks from the tractor when done but it worked well.

My father in law also had a great silver queen crop. My varieties - an early yellow and 'sugar dots' were pathetic. Small ears, tough and little taste. I've learned my lesson about trying another variety because they were out of Silver Queen - I'll look harder next year!

Thanks for the offer of the corn though!

Patrick