Pucker factor

/ Pucker factor #1  

Mike_Dumond

Gold Member
Tractor
B6100D Kubota
After almost rolling last week, I decided to invest in a tilt-meter. Best investment I ever made. After mounting it on my B6100D, which has Ag's, filled with antifreeze, mounted on the last hole on the axel, with the hub reversed and with the rims reversed, which gives me an extra 3 inches of wheel separation, I once again took to the slope where I had my 'almost mishap'. I also have a FEL and back blade that I run as low as possible at all times.

Not being quite as daring as I might have been in my younger days, I slowly advanced until I was at 25 degrees. Carefully leaning toward the downhill side, I noticed no instability in the footing of the 6100. Of course, I wasn't moving at the time. I'm not that stupid. I estimate the spot where I started coming off the ground to be around 30 degrees.

With this information in hand, I have decided, (for me), that at 15 degrees, I start to tighten up a little. And at 20, it's gonna be a real pucker kind of day. Should give me enough of a safety margin to keep me out of trouble. Just remember, if you're in the woods, and you've got this figured out for your machine, a stump or a hole can change your angle from 10 to 30 real quick.

I should have got the tilt-meter a long time ago. No reason not to have it, it doesn't give you a false sense of security, as long as you figure in a safety margin. And mounted correctly, you can see it at the edge of your vision. The multi colors are great for this.

Happy tractoring and keep the greasy side down.

Mike

/ Pucker factor #2  
Mike

Where did you get your tilt meter and how much was it.

Thanks,

sk

/ Pucker factor
SK, I got it from R&B manufacturing for $35 plus shipping. There's a link to it on the main page. There's a whole bunch more out there, if you look hard enough, but what sold me on this one, was the color scheme used for marking. White, yellow and red for the safe, caution and danger zones. There are some out there that go to 50 degrees, instead of 25. If you need something that hits 50 degrees, then I hope you're in an airplane and not a tractor. Also, the 50 degree meter is a little more difficult to read, since the numbers are closer together.

I might get another one for front to back reading and that one might be the 50 degree one. Only because I routinely go up and down a 45 degree slope to get to my lower lot. Hope this helps.

Keep the greasy side down.

Mike

/ Pucker factor #4  
The actual tilt gauge that R&B sells is made by Sun Company and retails for $10.95 rather than $25. R&B does add value by painting the scale in color coded "zones" and they include some mounting hardware.

Peter

/ Pucker factor #5  
Hi hayden,
Boy are you wrong!!!!! The tiltmeters I sell are mine. I own
the molds. I make them here. Five years ago, I did buy a few
of certain models from sun, and still sell one model they
make. It is NOT the 25 degree model, or the 50 degree
model!!!!! I designed the 25 degree and 50 degree models
I sell myself. We quit using sun after numerous complaints
about the ball sticking, no mounting bolt holes or brackets,
and lack of quality on some models. Sun does make a
decent meter, but not one designed specifically for tractor
use. If you want a meter designed for use on a sail boat,
then go for it. I will be here when you want one designed
for a tractor. When you shopped for a tractor, was price
the only thing you considered??? Or was quality, design,
customer service, etc. considered. Rick

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing
http://www.tiltmeter.com
(816)587-9814

/ Pucker factor #6  
Hi hayden,
Last post was not specifically intended for you. Sorry if it
appeared so. It is meant as a generic post to all. I indeed
do sell one and ONLY one sun model. It is model #23, and
goes to 45 degrees. We buy it, drill it for mounting bolts,
re-paint numbers, and occasionally change tube if ball sticks.
It is re-designed for our customer use. We now make model
#45 to replace the model #23 we get from sun, and it is being
slowly phased out. I will not slam any competitor. Sun makes
a good meter. However it did not fit my customers needs,
so we make our own. Have been doing so for 2-5 years.
We started phasing out some models 5 years ago, and are
down to one model we still buy. (model #23.). With each new
model we make, we design it using customer input, and try
to make it better than anyone else. Higher temp. range,
better quality glass tube, tube more protected, special
number paint, mounting options and BETTER CUSTOMER
SERVICE. Our model #25C was designed from input from
this board, and input from numerous farmers. It is designed
for use on tractors. Not sail boats, or campers. Use it for
that if you like. But not it's original purpose. Thanks for
hearing me out. Rick

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing
http://www.tiltmeter.com
(816)587-9814

/ Pucker factor #7  
Good decision on your part to invest in a tiltmeter. I mow on a couple of pretty steep/long hills, and while never having reached the 30 degree mark, the tiltmeter does help to keep me honest when assessing where I'll mow across and where I go up and down. You'll like it.

Bob Pence
18-33782-bobsig.gif

/ Pucker factor #8  
I'll be ordering a Tiltmeter from R&B this weekend. I've had a few emails back and forth and have received immediate responses.

Bluegrass, Pick It Up!

/ Pucker factor #9  
No problem. I debated a long time about whether to even post what I did 'cause I don't like to undermine anyone's business, hence the comments about your value add. The model I bought from you was indeed the #23, and I personally like the color coded scale and bracket - saved me the trouble of making one. At the same time, it has Sun stamped right on the back so I searched and found the same thing without the scale and bracket for less and felt people were entitled to know that.

You've been a great advocate for the tilt meters on tractors and should keep up the good work. Like I said, my business went to you.