3pt Log Splitter

/ 3pt Log Splitter #1  

Kubbruce

Tractor
L3010HST
Hi all, I have L3010HST and I'm looking to get a log splitter for it. I will probably split a couple of cord a year. I am trying to figure out wether I will need a PTO pump or if I can hook it up to my hydraulic's in the rear. Any ones experience and help would be greatly appreciated.

/ 3pt Log Splitter #2  
Hi,

I have a Bush Hog brand 3pt splitter, But here in Houston kinda a waste. I do not have an external pump to drive, just the tractor hyd. They are very strong and will split about anything. The negatives are they have slow cycle times, and even flat on the ground a big log takes some muscle to get up on the I-beam track. Mines for sale hardly used..

/ 3pt Log Splitter #3  
DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON A TRACTOR MOUNT SPLITTER.
GO TO HOME DEPOT AND GET THEIR VERTICAL 31 TON. NO LIFTING OF THE LOG!!! YOUR BACK WILL THANK YOU FOREVER. AND YOU WILL SPLIT IT IN HALF THE TIME.

/ 3pt Log Splitter #4  
I also have a 3010HST. I purchased a 3 pt. log splitter from Tractor Supply Co. It will work in both vertical and horiz. modes. All I had to add was two hoses and two connectors. I don't have any rear connectors, so I unhook two hoses (quick disconnect) from the tilt on my loader and plug in the splitter. My Kubota dealer informed me that this is the most cost effective. I hook a bunge cord from the steering wheel to the loader control lever to hold it open when the splitter is attached. It works great. I usead it for 5 hrs. continously on Saturday. It works plenty fast. I live in Colorado at 8500 ft. and we heat our house with wood so I needed something that works good. I also needed a unit that I could move around on my property behind the tractor. Trailer mt. splitters would not work for me due to my rough access and unlevel ground.

/ 3pt Log Splitter #5  
I have a home made splitter I used on my Case DC last year utilizing the tractor hydraulics. Worked good but fuel use was excessive (Case is 35 or so HP - gasoline) at 2 or 3 gallons per hour. Plus the engine never really got loaded enough to run clean. I added a PTO pump and tank and now run it off the Kubota. Use less than .5 gal per hour.

Steve

/ 3pt Log Splitter #6  
I've been using a Vertical unit from Gearmore on my L4310. Attached is a picture. Paid about $1200. The hydraulics are connected to the tractor hydraulics in series using a quick coupler in the power beyond circuit at the Top-N-Tilt valves. No problem so far after about 10 cords of oak. For me the vertical units are less work since you can roll the big logs in place in stead of picking up every piece to be split. If you do a lot of splitting, I would get a stand alone unit.

This unit is very heavily built. the base plate is 1-1/4" thick. It is rated at 20 tons but splits better than my neighbors 30 ton MTD splitter.

Attachments

• 2-66393-GearmoreLogSplitter2.jpg
    2-66393-GearmoreLogSplitter2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 174
   / 3pt Log Splitter #7  
I built a 3 pt splitter for use with tractor hydraulics. I then converted it to a stand alone unit with an 8hp briggs off a riding mower. Much better. It worked well with the tractor but I couldn't see running the tractor engine all day ($$$$ to repair) and barely taxing it when I could just run a cheapo gas engine all day for a lot less in fuel cost etc. Not to mention I have no problem leaving the splitter right in the woods where I am working

/ 3pt Log Splitter #8  
I did the same thing - made my own, first for 3ph, then put wheels, pump and engine on it. The wheels are on a u-shaped axle so the splitter is up at bench height for normal splitting, can go down to ground level for really big stuff. There are side tables on each side so unsplit pieces have a place to wait. Splitter stays near the finished woodpile.

The really handy aspect is that I can load the FEL with sawed lengths, drive up to the splitter and split everything without bending over ! Pretty cushy !

My vote is for a separate stand-alone splitter. Features to look for are bench-height, 2-stage pump, auto-return valve and roller-guided ram. You'll always enjoy using it - instead of thinking it should be some other way.

/ 3pt Log Splitter #9  
Wish I built my own splitter back when I had access to materials and equipment to do it for practically nothing.Lived in the city then. One more vote for the stand alone splitter. Then the tractor is free to bring in more stock to split AND carry away the split wood to the stack without holding up the splitter operator/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.
regards
Mutt