B7800 Hydraulic Leak?

/ B7800 Hydraulic Leak? #1  

catvet

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39
I got my first tractor 2 weeks ago B7800. Loving it. Parked it in the garage for the first time the other day and noticed liquicd on the floor the next morning. Clear, slippery. Talked to dealer who was going to pick it up and check it but then started discussing that had 17 hours on it and would be doing a dealer maint. at 50. Supposedly a leak won't hurt anything. Used the tractor again today leak seems worse, I see drips along the bottom frame (3PH?) and I think from the hydraulics for the FEL. So questions:
1. Will I hurt anything if I keep using the tractor?
2. Where can I check Hydraulic levels to make sure I have enough?
3. Is there a good way to trace leaks down? I don't see any obvious spot where it's leaking from.
4. Would the leak effect the use of my implements?

Any help appreciated.

Jerry

/ B7800 Hydraulic Leak? #2  
Jerry, first step is to determine what the fluid is; antifreeze should not be clear, motor oil really shouldn't, hydraulic fluid would be, and diesel fuel would probably appear clear on the garage floor. The first time I walked in my shop building and saw a puddle under my tractor, my first thought was a big leak, but it was nothing but water; condensation on the tractor that dripped in the floor and made a really big puddle. Another time I thought I had a leak when I found diesel fuel on the floor; shouldn't have overfilled it; no leak. Your description of "clear, slippery" does sound like hydraulic fluid. Once you determine what it is, then yes, you need to check that fluid level in the tractor and see if you need to add some. Then is it leaking while the tractor is sitting idle with the engine off, or is it leaking out under pressure with the engine running. Be Careful! You do not want a tiny leak to hit your hand or body under pressure because it can be enough pressure to inject through the skin and cause serious problems. Personally, I'd try to wash the tractor as thoroughly as possible, then look for leaks with the engine off; might have to get under it with a flashlight or drop light. If I didn't find it that way, I'd start the engine and look with either a mirror, or even hold a piece of cardboard under it to see if it got sprayed. The leak (we'll assume hydraulic fluid) will probably not affect the operation of your implements unless you run too low and then it can affect them and/or damage the tractor.

/ B7800 Hydraulic Leak?
Bird,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to figure out what is going on. Pretty sure not water or diesel. Any idea on where the hydraulic fluid check is on the B7800? Can't seem to find a likely suspect, or a reference in the manual. I find transmission fluid and motor oil but not Hydraulic.

Jerry

/ B7800 Hydraulic Leak? #4  
<font color="blue"> I find transmission fluid and motor oil but not Hydraulic.
</font>
Transmission and Hydraulic oil are the same on a B7800. They have separate pumps. But use the same oil in transmission.

/ B7800 Hydraulic Leak? #5  
Jerry,

Agree would not operate very much till you fix leak. I had same problem and just wild guess, but it was a lose fitting in one of the bachoe clylinders, it actually ran down to drip under tractor rather than hoe. You could disconnect hoe and fel and run around some to see if leak in tractor or not.
I would replace with the Kubota Transmition Fuild since you just got it and warranty stuff.

/ B7800 Hydraulic Leak? #6  
The dipstick is in front and under the seat and is yellow. The fill location is behind the seat between the lift arms and is a yellow cap. I notice when I take my FEL off the 7800 and put it back on some Super UDT runs down and drips on the floor.

/ B7800 Hydraulic Leak? #7  
I had a leak after just a few hours on my B21. Turns out the FEL cylinders had little specks on them before they were chromed. You could barely feel the pinhead bumps has you ran your hand along the cylinder. This created leaks at the seals. Had to have the cylinders replaced. all is well now.So check the chrome part of the cylinders should be smoother than a /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ B7800 Hydraulic Leak?
Thanks for the replies. I tried to track down the leak today but can not find anything obvious. I added fluid (took 2+ quarts) and ran for awhile. Certainly see drops coming off the frame underneath every couple of seconds. Has been turned off for 15 minutes and I'd say I had a 1/4 cup in an old garbage lid I placed under the tractor. Time to get the dealer to look at it. If they are going to haul it into the shop (which I think they will) does it make sense to get the 50 hour checkup at 25 hours?

/ B7800 Hydraulic Leak? #9  
Reason for doing change at 50hr is manufacturer feels that is time it takes to get any loose debre in engine and transmition from manufacturing to collect in filters. Also engine may have special type oil for better breakin on early engine operation.
If it where over 40 hours I'd probly go for the change then 20 probly not. See what dealer says though they are experts i guess. If you want to look for leak, try turning enigine on and run you're hands over all the metal , even fel and hoe. I could not see my leak till i actually felt it, metal was real slipery then i could follow. and it could travel 4ft or so horz from actual leak.