Draining Transmission Case - How Catch Fluid?

/ Draining Transmission Case - How Catch Fluid? #1  

penokee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO-20 (sold to son-in-law), AC - H3 Crawler, L3130HST, (AC-WD w/Attachments - SOLD), 1984 Honda Big Red, Honda Foreman 4x4 w/plow
Plan to drain the 11.1 gal. out of the Transmission case on my L3130HST and just realized I don't have a container large enough to handle that volume. Have some old 5 gal. pails. Any tricks or ideas on this so I don't take a shower in Super UDT? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
penokee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Draining Transmission Case - How Catch Fluid? #2  
Penokee…
Use 3 of your 5 gallon pails, You might spill a little but it works good… Glug, Glug.
You might want to save and filter your old hydraulic fluid to mix with fuel and burn it. Keep clean… KennyV.

/ Draining Transmission Case - How Catch Fluid? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Penokee…
You might want to save and filter your old hydraulic fluid to mix with fuel and burn it. Keep clean… KennyV.
)</font>

Great idea! What ratio would you mix? Why filter it, isn't there a filter on the system that would catch anything?

Its like free fuel!

/ Draining Transmission Case - How Catch Fluid? #4  
It is really very simple.

Just fill one 5 gallon pail at a time, reinstall drain plug, and then do the next until done.

Work real good for chain saw oil too.

/ Draining Transmission Case - How Catch Fluid? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Penokee…
Use 3 of your 5 gallon pails, You might spill a little but it works good… Glug, Glug.
)</font>

Burn it in what ?
I'm not sure what you mean here.

/ Draining Transmission Case - How Catch Fluid? #7  
Just last night I drained and refilled my L3710, (almost 10 gallons of fluid). I have a 4 gallon drain pan and there are 4 separate drain plugs. I started with the tranny drain and inserted the drain plug when the pan was close to capacity. I only needed to reinsert the tranny plug and dump the pan. The colume from the other 3 drains came nowhere near filling the pan.

/ Draining Transmission Case - How Catch Fluid? #8  
Jhb has it right… ‘Its like free fuel!’ … and you are right, if you don’t add any dirt while you drain, it is already filtered.
How much to mix, I’ve never had ANY problems mixing half and half during the summer in a Cat crawler or motor grader. Same in a small tractor. KennyV.
PS It is far better than sending it to a landfill or burning it on a brush fire.

/ Draining Transmission Case - How Catch Fluid? #9  
I assume you are mixing with diesel at 50/50?