BX - 54" deck cut better than 60" deck

/ BX - 54" deck cut better than 60" deck
Re: BX - 54\" deck cut better than 60\" deck

The part numbers for the pulleys match on both decks so they are indeed the same. The pinion shaft and bevel gear of the gearbox are also a match.

You would assume that the tip speed of the blades on the 60" deck would be faster than the blades from the 54" deck which should create even a better lift. Would like to have compared the blades side by side before I sold the older tractor. I think, not positive though, that the amount of air space between the blade and deck is greater on the 60" unit than that of the 54" unit. If so, my guess is that this extra space allows for more downdraft than necessary creating the problem - along with too much downdraft area of the blades and not enough lift.

I'll try next time to mow with more rpms on the motor - not much else to try. Guessing this will also create more downdraft to defeat the lift. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ BX - 54" deck cut better than 60" deck #12  

I have the 54" deck on my BX2230 and get the best results on finish (and vacuum with the bagger) with the motor at PTO rpm, which is wide open. There is no problem running the motor at full throttle, it is designed to do so. You will see the finish the mower leaves is noticeably better. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ BX - 54" deck cut better than 60" deck #13  

I have the 60" and it gives me a very good cut. I mow at a hair under WOT and at a 3" depth.
I've used a home made mulch plug w/std blades an did OK as long as I kept up the mowing and didn't have to take any more than 1/2" off at any one time. Anything higher and the clippings would bog down the MMM and leave rows of clippings at the discharge side.
I mainly side discharge 2.5 acres with the std blades and have discovered that if I mow inside out that the finish is better and the clippings about disappear towards the edges.
I am now in the process of trying out a bagger (Cyclone Rake) and so far with only one mowing, the combination of the BX23 and CR has left as nice a finish cut as I've done with good finish mowers. I haven't had to mow in over two weeks as we haven't had any rain in that amount of time.

If you want stripes then I recommend rigging up a wide roller (a-la Simplicity) or a wide brush or long piece of rubber from the 3PH to "comb" the grass in the direction of travel. Alternate directions per row and you've got stripes!

Good luck
Volfandt