BX 2200 disc or tiller?

/ BX 2200 disc or tiller? #1  

KPotts

Cleaned up my small garden today with a center plow to start getting it ready for some fall plants and next spring. Maybe a turning plow would work better but I've not seen one that looked like it would work on the 2200. Now the garden needs to be finished out and since I don't have a disc or tiller yet I would like an opinion on which would work better? I've seen some 3 point hitch disc that looked small enough for the 2200 but I'm not sure they will do much work due to their weight. I'm also concerned that a 3 point tiller might not get as deep into the soil as a walk behind tiller. Anyone out there with experience with both?
Thanks

/ BX 2200 disc or tiller? #2  
I love my tiller it tills deeper then my little troy built walk behind. This year I even widened the space between the rows so that I could till between them with the BX2200 so I wouldn't have to use the walk behind. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have a 50" Howard Rotavator and it takes just minutes to do what use to take an hour or better with the walk behind.
Lisa

/ BX 2200 disc or tiller? #3  
Lisa:

How long have you had that Howard? Its a really nice weight to size ratio, 400lbs at 50" and 10" of total offset. I'm assuming you have the HR7-50? Will it offset in either direction and if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? It looks real nice.

Steve

/ BX 2200 disc or tiller? #4  
I got my used Yanmar tiller for $500, and wouldnt trade it for anything. It will fluff the dirt better than any disc I have seen, Though, I'm sure with more pass' it may be equal. The first pass I try to keep it shallow, then on the second pass I can usually sink it about 6". This is enough to make for slower walking though the field, as you will sink to your ankles. It can turn the hardest dirt into a powder with a little patience. I also agree with increased spacing,once you use it you'll never want to use the hand held egg beater again. My vote is for a tiller, especially if you already have a plow.

/ BX 2200 disc or tiller? #5  
I bought my tiller new when I got my BX2200 in May 2003. I got it as part of the deal with tractor, mower, blower and broom at that time I paid $1395 for it. It is a Howard HR3-50, as far as the offset the book says it has dual mounting position central or offset to the right. The dealer set mine up for central and I've never tried it any other way. My only regret is that I didn't have one sooner. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Lisa

/ BX 2200 disc or tiller? #6  
Tillers are expensive compared to disks, but in my opinion there's just no comparison. I'm not sure how big and heavy a disk you could pull with a BX tractor, but I know a tiller will do a great job. And while some brands may be "better" than others, I can't recall anyone posting a message about any brand that they had and didn't like. I've read that the Howard Rotovator may be the best quality; never used one. I had a Bush Hog brand, used it hard for several years with no problem, but the same can be said for many other brands.