Can You Defend Kubota Corporation....

/ Can You Defend Kubota Corporation.... #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
I have come to the conclusion that Kubota as a company isn't as reputable as they once were. I have seen too many people that have had unresolved problems with Kubota products and the general feeling that all of them get is that Kubota just doesn't care. Manufacturing defects aren't fixed until the unit is out of service because of a known defect breaks on the tractor. The undersized dipper stick cylinders is a good example of this. They have yet to issue a general recall knowing that these tractors have major defect that need to be repaired. Dargo's problem with the vibration on his RTV is another example. Other defects they just ignore such as the hydro pedal problem on the BX series hoping that the tractor is out of warranty before it gets so bad that the tractor must be repaired at the owners expense. It is typical of many companies that do what ever is necessary to get on top of the desirability list, only to just rest on past performance and not care about what is right, now that they are there. I can see where the other tractor manufacturers are going to keep improving there products while Kubota stumbles along with mediocre products in the future. At some point in the future, Kubota will wake up to realize that they no longer have the market share they once enjoyed, and it will be too late to turn back the hands of time. Your opinions..........

/ Can You Defend Kubota Corporation.... #2  
I like the way you phrased this one. No, I can't defend the Kubota Corporation. I'm extremely unhappy with what happened to my local dealership. I had a local Kubota dealer that I passed on the way to and from work every day. It was a family owned business that has been around for at least 2 generations. The people there were nice, friendly, and helpful. The guy who owned the place has some severe health problems and decided he could no longer run the business. He chose to take care of himself and get out of the power equipment business, which in his case was the smart thing to do and I fully understand and have no problem with his decision. So, he decided he would sell his business to someone with more energy that could keep it going strong. He found a buyer with cash in hand, wanting to take over and continue selling Kubota equipment. But wait -- Kubota said No! What? Why not? The owner explained to me that Kubota no longer wants these small mom-n-pop type dealerships, Kubota now only wants dealers with a huge showroom and multiple locations. This place was just too small. Having a few Kubotas on display and lots of glossy literature apparently just isn't enough for Kubota any more. So, this wonderful business that has been there as long as anyone around here can remember is now gone. All the employees who also worked there probably their entire life are unemployed. Thanks Kubota. After hearing this story, I was truly sorry that I bought from Kubota. I thought I was helping to keep this local business alive, but now I'm having to order parts off the internet and giving my money to strangers. Kubota seems to have joined the ranks of (as David Letterman would phrase it) Money Grubbing Scum. I would much prefer a small family owned dealership, but there just not enough money in it any more for Kubota. So, my opinion of Kubota has dropped significantly since I bought my tractor.

I hope we get some more similar stories posted in this thread, and then I hope someone prints it out and mails it to Kubota Corporate.

/ Can You Defend Kubota Corporation.... #3  
The story is no differen't on the auto end. i work for a ford dealer and have worked for a dealership that ford shut down even Though there was a buyer. Ford want's to thin the heard which is no lose to them because most customers will shift to the next dealership in there area. another example is hardware stores look at all the small ones that got pushed out by the big guys. ford would prefer mega stores(ford,L/m)etc. they only lose here is us the customer. we all build a one on one Relationship with our dealers and now we have to start all over again. A big thank you to corporate america /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Can You Defend Kubota Corporation.... #4  
Fortunately, I have not had problems with my L4330. My dealership rents me all types of equipment and sometimes doesn't charge me for all the days rented, sends me Christmas cards, and is very considerate of their customers. This dealership could be the exception...

After getting hit with 3 hurricanes, Kubota offered me three months of no payments on the tractor. The people I spoke with were very nice and cordial. Overall, I think the Kubota Credit people were decent caring people. I would do business with them again.

Although, like I said earlier, I have not experienced problems and dealing with problems can be the true test.

Joe

/ Can You Defend Kubota Corporation.... #5  
Junk,

Not quite sure it's degraded to the point you describe, but the company may not be as responsive as they once were simply due to demand and the tornado effect. I'm told they can not make enough engines to satisfy global demand. "Kubota" is an enormous company that is into all kinds of business including the building business in Japan. They build huge housing tracts and large buildings among other things. My point is, Kubota is no longer just a tractor manufacturer that sells small tractors primarily in the US. With that kind of size and growth comes a lack of manuverability, kind of like an oil tanker. It's also a Japaneese company so you'll have definite differences in how the tractor side of the corp wants to run vs. how the coporate heads want it run in Japan.

I had some issues with my L-39 and Kubota was very responsive. They didn't have the parts due to manufacturing delays, but I got two calls and a survey to fill out. My salesperson is a joke at my dealer, but the service supervisor is outstanding. They just dropped off a 5 gallon jug of SUDT the other day because of a loose fitting I had.

I'm happy with Kubota and think you'll find the same experiences with anything that's made by humans, is fairly complicated and expensive. Every Mercedes owner is certainly not tickeled pink, I'll tell you that. There are no gaurantees that everything is going to be perfect when you buy something. Most everybody has gripes about the things they buy. I certainly have had my gripes, but most of them were dealer related and looking back I may have been a bit on the critical side becuase I didn't get what I wanted NOW! I love the machine and am very impressed with the engineering and fit and finish.

/ Can You Defend Kubota Corporation.... #6  
I don't know where on the fence I am with this issue. I bought my BX2200 from a Mom/Pop/Sons dealership about an hour away. Great people to work with. Prior to going there, I went to the Major Dealer 10 miles away from me. His company sold everything from mini CUTs to Giant Earth moving machines. The "one guy" who dealt with small stuff seemed too busy to talk with me when I went there TWICE. It was like, "well, I'll try to find you the price on this, but I have to deliver two units to big customer now, so come back later, huh? " Yeah, right!

I stopped by my selling dealer a year after I bought mine, just to window shop. It was over lunch. The wife said she'd call her husband at home and he'd be right down to talk with me. Not necessary, I said, as I was just kicking tires..... But it made a big impression on me. I think he sells a lot of units (big and small), so I hope K doesn't mess with him.

I've not had anything break on my BX. I suppose I should check the air filter straps again. And I've not noticed the sticking pedal. So to me these are between a nuisance and safety item (don't dispute the sticking pedal would terrify me!).

If I had a dipper stick cylinder that broke, I'd be torqued! These things are supposed to be designed to have something go "over relief" before you tear up the machine.

If I look at K's point of view, I'm sure they see our equipment failures as NOISE. They are selling units like crazy. To them, there's no pain. And unfortunately, the guys who stand up and say "Hey, this isn't right, we should fix it for the customers" are probably shouted down by the CEO's and Bean counters as being too expensive.

A lifetime ago, I worked for an ag mfg company. We listened to complaints and tried to fix all we could. If it was a safety deal, there was no question, we had to fix it. The sad thing is everyone has to try and make it look like you aren't correcting a safety defect, or you open yourself up to more lawsuits. Its called a design enhancement that just happens to fix an unnamed safety item. Everyone, including K, does this.

If/When I have something big break, I hope my dealer is still around to fight for me........................

Ron

/ Can You Defend Kubota Corporation.... #7  
I won't go into much of what I've experienced in the last two years for fear of being accused of "ranting". As we all know, there are good dealers out there who care and take care of their customers. They certainly are not the problem.

To give a "Reader's Digest" version of my real concern about Kubota, it's Kubota Corporation that is dropping the ball. Anyone who has read any of my posts know that I'm not overly satisfied with my dealer. Big deal, right?! But, I have to ask you, what do you do if you are being totally brushed off by the dealer of a tractor you bought? Seriously. What do you do? You call the manufacturer, right?!

This is where Kubota Corporation is failing. Call me impatient, I don't care. Personally, I think waiting a year and a half for parts or repairs should not paint me as being impatient, but we are all able to form our own conclusions. Anyway, in the last year and a half (about every 6 months) I've made 3 serious efforts at calling and writing everyone I possibly can at Kubota Corporation to try to get problems fixed. I've called and written every number and address in the owner's manual, warranty manual, and more.

The result; I get brushed off by Kubota Corporation and sent packing back to the dealer who brushed me off in the first place. Only now, this dealer has a real attitude because Kubota has called him and told him that he has some unreasonable person who wants their Kubota product repaired and this person is trying to go around the dealer and make him look bad. Sweet. Nice system. I have gotten the exact same treatment from Kubota Corporation each and every time that I've spent days and weeks calling and writing everyone at Corporate level about known problems.

Not only does Kubota Corporation offer absolutely no assistance whatsoever, they proceed in totally ticking off a dealer who didn't want to deal with the problem in the first place. Don't be confused and think that Kubota Corporation called the dealer and chewed them out and told them to fix the problem; oh no, that is not the case at all. Kubota Corporation only sends notice to the dealer about a "problem customer".

Excuse me?! A problem customer?!! What about the defective or broken Kubota product? I will not post here again, only because I have no intention of rubbing salt in open wounds. I suppose you have to ask yourself if you think you would be a problem customer if you could not get something fixed in a year and a half; with a minimum of monthly attempts. If you think that I am unreasonable and am impatient with Kubota Corporation, then you agree with Kubota's Corporate current method of handling product problems.

I feel very fortunate in that by the power of TBN, I believe that I will get one of my issues handled. The party who helped knows who they are, and I sincerely thank them. I choose to not mention their name as to not drag them into something that is not of their doing or is their problem. They have gone well above the call of even what I consider being a friend, and has helped me with my RTV. As far as the Top n Tilt I bought for my tractor from Kubota Corporation, Kubota knows they has problems with the cylinders they use, but they positively refuse to make good on their overpriced product. I mistakenly bought the Kubota brand Top n Tilt to try to avoid problems with possible quality control issues that may exist with an unknown manufacturer. I flat out made a mistake in doing so. I should have realized that Kubota uses the cheapest hydraulic cylinders they can find. In less than 40 hours my FEL had been in the dealer 4 times for defective lift cylinders, and has had two cylinders replaced. (In case you're wondering, no I don't have a toothbar, and have never done any digging or other "hard" work with myh FEL) No debates, no sarcasm, no ranting etc., I'll just simply say I would not under any circumstances buy a Top n Tilt from Kubota ever again. Honestly, as much as I hate to say so, I'd have to say the same thing about any Kubota product at this time unless Kubota Corporation makes a change in the way they handle their customers who have a problem with one of their products.

This is not to say that I think Kubota builds sub-par products. I do not believe that. I only believe that Kubota Corporation has honestly forgotten what got them to where they are; building quality products and taking care of their customers. That is now left up to the individual dealers who have to decide how much they want to spend of their own money and of their own time to take care of their customers. Since Kubota Corporation does not provide the service, I can see where it is troublesome and costly for the individual dealers to do so. I would have to think that if Kubota Corporation continues along the same path, not only will customers like me buy other products, but I'd have to think that eventually some Kubota dealers will have to take a serious look at whether they can carry the Kubota line or not.

Feel free to disagree. I'm only expressing my experience of Kubota ownership in the last two years. For background information, I have purchased nearly two dozen new tractors in my life so far, and I have had a few that developed some issues. However, until Kubota, my problems were addressed by the dealers and the manufacturers, and I'd definitely consider purchasing any of my previous brands again in the future.

/ Can You Defend Kubota Corporation.... #8  
Change the word Kubota in all of your messages to...IBM, Dell, Ford, Mercedes, Toyota, John Deere, TBN, Whirlpool, GE, Coca Cola, Pepsi, any USA company, any world company and your messages become template letters that every company receives. Negative rants against a company seldom produce positive results.

If you have a problem with a company or one of their products, you can most often best solve it with a positive win-win negotiating style. Companies are made up of people that like to be treated professionally. Soften up the attack, use a little "honey", and discover how much more successful you can be. I spent more than 30 years on the receiving and giving side of customer complaints. A positive attitude from both parties is the basis of a successful solution to a problem. Try it!

OrangeGuy

/ Can You Defend Kubota Corporation.... #9  
I think you guys get this impression sometimes because you try to go to the companies themselves instead of working though a dealer. Kubota corp themselves, or any other tractor company is not setup to deal directly with customers. Its not their job to fix your problems, as a dealer... its ours.

I am one who will step up and defend them about some of the "issues" that people seem to think cronicly exist. IE... the drive shaft rattle on the RTV. This problem is so rare, that if you start digging though the service issues on our dealer system you find TWO occurances of dealers asking questions about this issue. Yes, it seems to be a problem. But apprenty its a very isolated one and not serious enough for people to take their machines in for repair, we have sold 50-60 RTV's and I don't know of one customer that has complained about it. That being said, obviously it is a problem for some people and there is a fix. Yes it took time, it takes that long because they put 400-500 hours on a machine before pushing the fix out the door. I'd rather them do this and take the time to get it right rather then do a shotty job of it.

Kubota has sold over a million tractors in the USA. There are going to be instances where people fall though the cracks and have problems that anyone would think are unacceptable. That being said, of the 200-300 shortline companies and 10 or so major venders that we work with the opinion is pretty universal that Kubota is the most responsive and offers a more consistantly well done product than anyone else we work with.

/ Can You Defend Kubota Corporation.... #10  
OrangeGuy- I don't think that Dargo wrote a "rant" If you have watched his posts for a while you can see that he is a nice guy and I am positive initially starts out with a positive attitude when having to get service after the sale.

I disagree that a rant never works. (and I don't think any of the posts here qualify as "rants") However when you have paid your money for a defect and you have spent considerable time and effort, all that is left really is the rant.

I know that Rants do work. I shipped 2 pallets of olive oil to the USA got completely crappy service from the Global shipping comapny, and yes just like Dargo, I start of real nice, but eventually you have to decide if you are a man or a doormat, and that is the point where rants begin. My good, well actually it was a most excellent, rant got my entire bill credited. I got y shipment at no cost. And I deserved to get it at no cost, the service was un-believably horrible.

If I was going to rant with Kubots, I would use this for the subject lin "I hate Kubota" That is the exact subject line I used with the Global Shipping company.

My eyes have been opened to Kubota, yes I know practically no machine is perfect, however as a future buyer, the way Kubota Corporation is resloving product defect issues makes me shy away from purchasing from them. We all make mistakes, even companies big and small, it is how the entity who has made the mistake takes care of it, is how they are judged. I love the Internet! Finally we regualr people who have similar interests have a means to communicate and share information. Because of the Internet we are no longer 1 man against the world. The internet is forcing companies to become better, they no longer can keep their malfunctioning secrets.

I jsut got suckered with an HP printer, man has that quality gone straight down in the toilet. HP was the gold standard, but the brand new printer I have is a piece fo junk. The minimum bttom margin it will print on A4 (European sized paper which is about .70" longer than Letter size) is an inch and a quarter form the bottom of the page! It took me quite a while to figure it out. On thier user message boards someone psoted that when using A4 paper the unit does not scan to the bottom of the page. That was my tip off. I posted on the HP user message boards the problem and how they could test and prove it. It was not a rant by any means, jsut very factual. They removed my message. When I get done with this, I am going to go to other forums and post the info. The Internet provides the means where I can alert other people to this crappy product. I still have an older HP that prints 11x17 paper, and it works fine. The newere printers are faster. I bought an Epson, that broke so I thought I would try HP again. Their quality sucks. I am going back to the Epson printer. This is what will happen to companies like Kubota and HP, the word gets out. People research before they spend lotsa $$$ on a piece of equipment. Well, they have been warned.....