Snow Hydraulic question - Snow blower

/ Hydraulic question - Snow blower #1  

mike123

Bronze Member
Tractor
Toolcat B 2004
I have a 72 inch snow thrower that is rated for 540 RPM. I want to run it with a Hydro motor but I don't know exactly what I need for a motor, pump, engine. The engine and pump will be running nothing else! I am going to put the engine in the bed of a truck.
Does anyone know what HYD GPM and pressure required to run the this big of a snow thrower?
Lastly will a Kubota 30 HP be enough?
Thanks Mike

/ Hydraulic question - Snow blower #2  
I have a 74 inch woods single auger blower on the back of my Grand L3130 which has 25 hp at the pto and I am not satisfied with the output. The hydrostat steels too much of the hp and I end up crawling to keep it moving. Hope this helps.

/ Hydraulic question - Snow blower #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a 74 inch woods single auger blower on the back of my Grand L3130 which has 25 hp at the pto and I am not satisfied with the output. The hydrostat steels too much of the hp and I end up crawling to keep it moving. Hope this helps. )</font>

I doubt the hydro transmission is having anything to do with your problem. At most you are losing 1-2 HP over a gear transmission which is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

I have a 64" Pronovost Puma snowblower, which is a single auger 2-stage blower, on the back of my B2710 hydro that will throw snow 50 ft or so depending on snow conditions. It has no problems going thru 22 inches of fresh snow without even grunting. I just put it in low range and set the rpm to pto speed.

It sounds like either you have a defective blower or some type of operator error.

/ Hydraulic question - Snow blower #4  
For a hydraulically driven case, a 72" Blower can typically be run at ~16-18 GPM and 3000 PSI to move the snow ~40 feet. Hope this helps!

/ Hydraulic question - Snow blower #5  
I'm sorry for my comment out of the subject

MadReferee, nice choice I have the same snowblower as yours but I used it last winter on my former BX23 and I was wondering how better it would be on my B3030. Thanks for your comment, I look forward to see some snow falling so I could try my blower with my new tractor.

/ Hydraulic question - Snow blower #6  
Mad,

LOL. I think he was originally talking about a hydraulic powered snowblower via some kind of hydraulic pump...not a "hydro" transmission.

/ Hydraulic question - Snow blower #7  
Mike,

A 30 Hp Kubota engine solely running a hydraulic pump should be more than adequate to run a 72" Snowblower.

Steve

/ Hydraulic question - Snow blower
Thats what I thought but Hydro dealer said and ERSKINE maufacturer agreed I need 47 hp at 1800 rpm to run the pump for 30 GPM @ 3000 psi. which is required.
So I need a 68 HP kubota @ 2600 RPM.
Someone please way in that knows this stuff!
Thanks

/ Hydraulic question - Snow blower #9  
Not sure if this helps but, I have a 6' blower for a skid steer that runs on <20gpm or 23gpm motor (two different motors). It turns faster though, my estimate is closer to 1000rpm.

/ Hydraulic question - Snow blower #10  
Mike,
Something doesn't add up. Erskine used to be the manufacturer of Bobcat Snowblowers until 2003 or 4. A 46 HP Toolcat, which has a hydraulic flow of ~18 GPM was approved equipment for the 72" Blower. Granted, this is 46 HP but you won't be stealing any HP (Tranny, Loader, etc.) with your dedicated motor. Hope this doesn't confuse the situation.