Oil & Fuel Diesel Oil Change

/ Diesel Oil Change #1  

SanMar

Tractor
L3130HST
I went to the tractor supply store to get oil for a change. They didn't have 10W30 in CF rated oil. They told me I didn't need to get CF rated oil. That SL is better oil because S is a higher rating than C and will work. This doesn't sound right to me, but I want to make sure. Also, if I do go with the CF, is 15W40 OK in place of 10W30 or 10W40. I will be plowing snow in temps down to temps closing in on 10 or zero. The tractor will be in the garage for the winter though.

Thanks

/ Diesel Oil Change #2  
I am no expert but I would go with what is called for in the manual.....anything else might void the warranty if anything happened.

/ Diesel Oil Change #3  
so they want you to use an SL (gas rated oil) in a diesel application???? Now that is bright...

Your thinking was correct.

You want at least CF. You would have to look at the pour temps to see which oil you need. (10w-30, 5w30 and so on)

/ Diesel Oil Change #4  
No, The S stands for Spark ignition, C stands for Compression ignition. The S? oils dont have the correct additives for your diesel application.

Sounds like "this is what we have in stock, close enough". Not a good idea.

/ Diesel Oil Change #5  
I use the traveller premium all fleet diesel 15W-40 from Tractor Supply in my BX-22. It's rated for all diesel engines and includes the CF rating among many others. I'm sure gsxr1100 will disagree with me, but I have always run heavier oil in my engines because it raises the oil pressure which I believe is better for the engine. I used to run 20W-50 in my Camaro which gave me 90 PSI of oil pressure with a high volume pump. Pressure is good.

/ Diesel Oil Change #6  
I do not disagree but heavy oils have more drags and less mpg. Heavy oils are good but in certain engines. I think soon 15w-40 oils will no longer be used.

/ Diesel Oil Change #7  
Agreed. The reason most cars now require 30 weight instead of 40 weight is for more MPG.

/ Diesel Oil Change #8  
Well, gsxr1000 didnt disagree, but I'll have to.. Be carefull with the heavier is better idea. Todays engines are designed tight, not only will your fuel economy be less but your engine life will be less as well due to excessive wear. The lifters wont pump up as quickly and the bearings will starve. Kind of like trying to suck a milkshake through a straw versus a soda.

What worked in the past may not work today.

/ Diesel Oil Change #9  
Most trucks today do not call out 15w-40 due to EPA requirements, not design. As the engines wear a thicker oil might be better. As noted I stated, “Heavy oils are good but in certain engines”. Did you see the “certain engines”?

Without seeing a 15w-40 oil test and a 5w-30, in same engine, I can’t comment on it. You can have a thin oil thicken and a thicker oil shear to a thinner oil. Again, I can’t make a global comment.

/ Diesel Oil Change #10  
OK, well this statement may be true regarding certain engines....

Most of totays(MOST) are in fact built much tighter. I speak regarding Fords in particular as that is what I am most familliar with. The 4.6L when it was introduced had a concern of blowing the oil filters off in police applications. It was found that the police fleet departments serviced these cars with thicker oil "because it was better" and caused their concerns. All of the Ford modular engines and some of the push rod engines demand thinner oil not only for emissions and fuel economy, but are designed to run that oil as well. Therfore a thicker oil will cause valve clatter and excessive wear.

Again, I dont make the blanket statement that thicker is always bad. In fact an old engine or engine design may well need it. I just recomend being carefull to suggest that it is the way to go.