Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Default Re: Lubrication via zirc fittings

Curiously, how often are y'all lubing?

I have made it a point to lube all zerk fittings at every tenth hour, even if I'm not actively using the loader. This 10 hours lube includes the brake and clutch cross shafts, range shifter, mower wheel, loader, ect.

In addition, if I'm using the loader a lot, then I lube after each use.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Tractor
    Kubota L2500DT w/FEL

I lube all 12 of the loader zerks every 10 hours which is what the manual says. Probably a little overkill since I'm not using the loader for all 10 of those hours but it's quick and grease is cheap. Just a guess but maybe a guy named Zerk (last name) invented the fitting?

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3430 + BX2230

How does synthetic compare? Amsoil? - just purchased 4 tubes of their grease. My thoughts were same, relative to price, why not use synthetic. Are you running synthetic oil as well?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    EarthForce EF-5 mini-TLB (2001)

I use Amsoil synthetic grease, but that didn't surprise anyone here, I'm sure. I don't know how much better it really works. I've never had to replace anything I've greased with it, except the u-joints on my Dodge truck, and I can explain that. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The synthetic greases excel in all the tests, of course. How much that really matters, I'm not sure. The one that I especially think of with outdoor equipment, though, is water resistance.

Mark

Tractor
    Ford 1710: Loader, Hoe, Snowblower, Box scrapper & 3ph Forks

I grease the loader and hoe 10 hours, or daily. Some of the PTO shaft fittings call for every 8 hrs.

I don't grease the steering etc. fittings as often. I've misplaced the owners manual and forget if they're every 50 or 100 hrs. I probably do if more frequently than called for anyway.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710 GST

Default Re: Great answers; What the heck are these anyway?

Fred .. you had quite a few replies - but I haven't come across one yet that seems to answer what (I think) you asked.
    A zerk is a small fitting that screws (or presses, in some cases, I guess) into a "socket". It has threads on the "socket" end so it can be screwed, a section above that where a wrench can be used to tighten in the fitting ... and a section at the top shaped to allow a grease nipple to fit over and hold. At the top of the zerk is a ball on a spring that seals off the the fitting but allows the pressure of the grease gun to force it down and thereby allows grease to pass through.
    It's use is to allow the inclusion of grease into a cavity to allow for lubrication and also dust and water exclusion.
    If that wasn't the answer you were looking for ... forgive me ... I spend a lot of time trying to simplify rather than add complexity.

too bad that common sense ain't

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3430 + BX2230

Thanks - From my standpoint, "an ounce of prevention", and hopefully it does work better - I have a relative who says that he uses it because it maintains lubrication at points for extended periods - thus he worries less about lubrication, although he still trys to follow specs.

Tractor
    JD 5210, JD 521 Loader, JD MX6 Rotary Cutter, TufLine 6' Disk, TufLine 6' Grader Blade, TufLine 6' Box Blade

Default Re: Great answers; What the heck are these anyway?

Fred,
    It is the fittings where you grease your trailer axles, drive shaft universal joints, and other things on you car/truck.

Been using AMSOIL for about 20 years; GREAT STUFF!!! I changed the engine oil in my B2710 to AMSOIL Marine 15W-40 last October; plowed snow this winter with no problems starting or running. I will wait until the 3-year warranty on the hydro tranny is up, then I will switch to AMSOIL ATH Hydraulic Oil.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 990

Aside from the (assumed) difference between SAE and metric sizes, are zerk sizes fairly standard? And more importantly, has the size of zerk used by kubota been consistent over the model years? I have lost or damaged a couple in the past couple of years, and am looking to replace them as hassle-free as possible. Also, I've broken a couple off of the giude wheels for my Woods L59 belly-mower. Are they the same size as well? Thanks.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast