Lubrication via zirc fittings

/ Lubrication via zirc fittings #31  
Re: Great answers; What the heck are these anyway?

Great Link Kevin thanks. We now know the real story!
Gordon

/ Lubrication via zirc fittings #32  

Very interesting, Kevin.

Bird

/ Lubrication via zirc fittings #33  
I broke the zerk fittin off the stabilizer on my backhoe. I guess a little rock lodged under the fitting as the arm was swinging up. I heard the crunch, but it was too late.
Now all thats left is the tiny threaded end in the hole.
I have tried to dig it out using one of those threaded extractor tools, but the zerk is so hard that the tool does not bite in. Does anybody have a suggestion ?
Duncan

/ Lubrication via zirc fittings #34  
Duncan, if there is a tiny jagged edge left, you may be able to take a small flat screwdriver and tap gingerly in a counterclockwise direction and slowly back it out far enough to 'grab' it with needle nose pliers to bring it the rest of the way. Sometimes a drill bit that you can start into it enough to wedge it, and reverse slowly may also back it out. Good Luck.

/ Lubrication via zirc fittings #35  
I've had good luck with LEFT handed drill bits. If that doesn't work drill out the hole and get a self taping zirc. If the steel is hardened drill it very slow with lots of pressure. Keep the bit sharp.

Derek

/ Lubrication via zirc fittings #36  

One other thing to think about fellas. I've always used a hand pumped grease gun, and still carry one with me. About 6 months ago I bought a grease gun that works off of an air compressor. No more pumping! Just pull the trigger. Makes it easier to grease the orange beast.

You can find such a grease gun at about any hardware, farm supply, or Home Depot for not much money.

/ Lubrication via zirc fittings #37  

How do you use a needle grease fitting? I bought one yesterday without looking closely and this thing is actually a needle that fits on the end of the grease gun. The limited instructions say to slip the needle underneath the joint to be greased. If that makes any sense.

How do you work this thingy? I have a zerc fitting that I can't get my grease gun to hook onto due to there not being enough grease in the joint. 8-( I may have to change the fitting to a 45 degree zerc.

Thanks...
Dan

/ Lubrication via zirc fittings #38  

Needle points for grease guns are usually used for loose fitting and/or rubber covered joints. The needle can get under the cover where a regular point wouldn't.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you've got a zerc fitting you can't get grease into because there's not enough grease in the joint. I've never seen one work that way. Do you mean the joint is frozen and can't be rotated far enough to allow clearance to the fitting? If so, disassembling the entire joint is most likely going to be necessary. Otherwise, if clearance is a problem, you'll probably need to switch to a different angle fitting, as you mentioned, ie a 45, 90, or straight, whatever works in this particular case.

MarkC

/ Lubrication via zirc fittings #39  

The zerk fitting is very close to a part of the suspension.
The distance between the suspension and the zerk is to small for my grease gun to attach. It looks like if the fitting had more grease in the joint then the zerc would float up and I would be able to attach the grease gun. I've lube that joint with this particular grease gun so it used to fit.....

Later....
Dan

/ Lubrication via zirc fittings #40  

I'm afraid I don't really understand about a grease fitting that will float up, or one that the gun used to go on and now won't. However, I've used the needle nosed guns for many years on fittings that the regular nozzle won't clip onto and I simply press the needle nose against the little ball in the center of the zerk to push the little ball in, then pump in the grease.

Bird