BX23 Front mount blower installation

/ BX23 Front mount blower installation #1  

Tim_in_NH

Has anyone bought a front mount snow blower and installed and set it up themselves? Is there much too it? Any welding or special tools required? I'm buying one soon but I don't have a trailer so I'd like to just take it home and install it myself.

Thanks

/ BX23 Front mount blower installation #2  
It's simple. It shouldn't take you more than twenty minutes.

/ BX23 Front mount blower installation #3  
The blower is easy to mount and requires no special tools to install. There are a couple of bolt on brackets, one for the blower direction handle, and one to hold the hydraulic hoses in place on the front of the tractor. The blower mounts to the quick attach on the front of the tractor in about 5 minutes.

/ BX23 Front mount blower installation #4  
There are 2 sides to this.

The initial setup takes a bit of time. Most of it is on the front hitch. The idler shaft needs to be installed, some brackets/guards mounted on the tractor proper, and mounting the chute and other accessories on the blower. More time consuming than anything else. Socket/combo wrenches are all that is needed. Usually the selling dealer will do much of it, but if not figure on 4 to 6 hours total.

Once the setup is done, mounting the blower is the other job. To attach the blower, you first install the front hitch. This requires removing the front brush guard and mounting the hitch to the front of the frame. To mount the hitch, no tools are required, but it is a bit heavy and a pain to handle and align to get it on. Once it is attached to the tractor, the blower attaches to the hitch by driving the nose of the hitch into the blower proper and flipping a latch handle. A PTO shaft is attached under the tractor, and another shaft is aligned between the hitch and blower. Getting the blower shaft aligned is a small pain, but not difficult. I (as well as others) made a dolly for the blower. Mine is from 2' x 4" x 1" ply, with 5 casters (4 corners and 1 in the middle for support). Using the dolly to hold the blower, you can easily move and store the blower, but it also makes aligning and hooking the blower to the tractor much, much easier. All in all it takes about an hour to mount the hitch and blower and have everything connected and ready to go.

paul

/ BX23 Front mount blower installation
Great, thanks for the input. The dolly idea sounds good. I hope to pick the blower up next week. And then bring on the snow!! (Hopefully it holds off for a few more months thought!)

/ BX23 Front mount blower installation #6  
Make sure they give you the driveshaft the goes from the front pto to the quick hitch. This is a separate part, as not all quick hitch attachments require a driveshaft.

/ BX23 Front mount blower installation #7  
Here are a couple of (poor) pictures of my front snow blower installed.

Front Mount

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ BX23 Front mount blower installation #8  
approximately what is the cost for the snowblower attachment for the BX.