is this a good fuel to run a tractor?
is it cheaper than regular diesel?
where can i buy this?
comments please. thanks
accordionman
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

/ biodiesel fuel #2  
The best place to look for biodiesel info is on the fuels and lube forum listed just above the kubota forums. Also the search function at the top of the page will help. Just type biodiesel in the words to search for section and change the date range to "all posts". You will get a whole bunch of hits. There has been a lot of discussion on this lately.

/ biodiesel fuel #3  
Biodiesel is cheaper only if you have a supply of used veggy oil (i.e. make friends with the managers at the local fast food establishments).
There was a good article in Homepower a few months ago describing the process of making it at home. Although there are kits for doing it that run about $2500-$3000 - it looks like you can build your own set up for a fraction of that cost.

Joe

/ biodiesel fuel #4  
That's vegetable oil; it requires engine mods that allow you to start your engine on normal oil and then switch to vegetable oil. Biodiesel runs just like normal diesel, and is available at some gas stations just like regular diesel.

/ biodiesel fuel #5  
Joe
Greg, Hello… Joe is referring to the conversion of cooking oil… That is biodiesel. Hence the 2.5K to 3K $ kit… You can make your own biodiesel or buy it at some service stations. “Willie Nelson BioDiesel”

As to the burning of vegetable oil you can do that with any diesel engine with zero engine mods… The only needed change is to the fuel delivery system… switching some of the heat from engine coolant to preheat the vegetable oil. It is also desirable to start with diesel and then be able to switch over to vege oil after it is heated. Followed by switching back to diesel for shutdown. Takes a little planning…

This is all ‘nice’ if you want to make your own fuel… sort of like cutting firewood for heating… But while I can afford to mow the grass I will use diesel, heck I’ll even pay road tax to mow. When I nolonger can afford the fuel, guess I will quit mowing. This planet went a lot longer not being mowed than being mowed /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. KennyV

/ biodiesel fuel #6  
As VA Joe stated, you can make biodiesel from veggy oil. It will run the same as diesel fuel. You need to remove the glycerin and and use lye to take the oil from an acidic to an alkaline. I will not use any biodiesel. I will always use Dino fuel no matter the cost.