Snow Snow Plow Question ( That time of year )

/ Snow Plow Question ( That time of year ) #1  

cmhyland

Platinum Member
Tractor
2000 Kubota B2910
Hey guys,
I have a B2910.. Great machine in all respects.

I was looking at snow plows and have seen some nice work done here on fabing a 6 or 7 foot plow on Kubotas.

The question is about the factory plow blade. Given it's only 60 inches wide is it too small? I would really like 72 inches.

I know I could have a plow frame welded up and use a western or a meyers.

The question is once you find and buy one and pay to have a frame welded up is the factory unit such a bad deal at nearly 2K?

I tend to think that it is a lousy deal myself, what are your thoughts?

Regards,

Chris

/ Snow Plow Question ( That time of year ) #2  
Not sure of the width of the 2910 but a B3030 with R4's is 54 inches. A 5 foot blade turned at 30 deg angle will not clear the tires. I have a 6 foot Curtis and Ron (another TBN regular) has I believe a 6.5 foot Curtis. Both are FEL mounted and power angle. Ron's is on a 2910. You can find pictures of his tractor in the photo section.

The factory price is frequently tough to accept but then again it's a question of time and availability of the resources to make one. I have made plows before for trucks and larger tractors. Today I can earn more by working the same hours that it would take to make a plow, buy the plow and still be ahead. That assumes I build the plow from scratch. I guess it's a function of how you like to spend your time. I enjoy using the tractor and having time available for my wood / cabinet work. THINK SNOW /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Snow Plow Question ( That time of year ) #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I know I could have a plow frame welded up and use a western or a meyers. )</font>

That is the route I took, and fashioned a 7' Western plow that works absolutely 'perfect' for me.

Attachments

• 748741-plowpic1.JPG
    748741-plowpic1.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 269
   / Snow Plow Question ( That time of year ) #4  
I have a 6.5 ft Curtis set up for my 2410 but found it to be a handful.
Last year, I opted for a "Snowsport" which mounts into a 2" receiver hitch and is easy to remove for FEL use. It handled snows up to 5-6 inches and we used a rear blower for the couple of larger storms we had.

Attachments

• 749254-blade1.JPG
    749254-blade1.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 227
   / Snow Plow Question ( That time of year ) #5  
What about your rear blade! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Snow Plow Question ( That time of year ) #6  
As JimMorrissey said, "What about your rear blade!"

I have a B2910 too. I posted the following on a different forum (attachments). Haven't figured out the link thing yet. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I would try using the rear blade with a wear strip as suggested. I've used a 6 foot rear blade with liquid filled turfs on my B2910 on a gravel drive about 200 feet long (and level) driving forward. This leaves the FEL for clean up or other uses. With a little practice you don't need to turn around to watch much. I have rotated the blade 180 degrees when the ground isn't frozen solid and driven forward. Of course you don't have that problem or kicking up some stones with blacktop. I'm looking for skid shoes or something to keep the blade up a bit. Packing the snow really hasn't been a problem and I'm careful to lift the blade before turning too much. You may get a bit more snow however.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I angle the blade to the side and drive forward. I start down the middle and push to the sides. Works well for me.

/ Snow Plow Question ( That time of year ) #7  
Jim- can't thank you enough for that rear blade, but I use that on my BX2200. The 2410 is 70 miles to the north and in the snowbelt near the Canadian border!!!!

/ Snow Plow Question ( That time of year )
Beenthere,
Yours is the exact approach I was looking to do. I can get a 4 way meyers 7' reasonable. and fab the mount like you did.

Very nice job on yours..

Regards,
Chris

/ Snow Plow Question ( That time of year )
SPT,
Thanks for the info. I do about 9 driveways for friends and neighbor. Some are short, most are pretty long...
I have one that is about 800 feet.

The plow at the end of the loader( clamped into the bucket) is too far out in front and cumbersome.
The plows pinned on in place of the bucket are nice but look like they could beat up a loader frame to me.
Also they need a 3rd valve.

The moldboard height on a rear plow is too short and will have difficulty rolling deep snow.

I like the system Beenthere as built. fast plowing, gets into tight places, easy to see, and shortens
the overall machine length.

Regards,
Chris

/ Snow Plow Question ( That time of year ) #10  
Thanks.
When I did mine, I could get what they called the 'short' A-frame, which tucked the plow in a bit closer to the front end.

I have posted more pics of the fab'd quick-tach and the short A-frame connection, if you want and search on 'Western Plow'.