Brand Name Fluids and Filters

/ Brand Name Fluids and Filters #1  

40_acre_mule

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
Howdy y'all

Since Katrina, my dealer has been swamped repairing large equipment. They were quoting a 3-4 week wait for getting my initial service. So, I changed the fluids and filters myself.
My tractor (L4400) was at 47 hours right before the storm. I was planning to bring it in for the initial service the week the storm hit. After the storm, I ended up using the tractor to run the PTO generator for 2 1/2 weeks. The dealer was closed down anyway, so it didn't matter. (They had a foot or two of water in the place and they had no power).
I changed the engine oil and filter at 95 hours. It was at 105 hours when we got power back to our house. Since then, I've put another 30 hours on the machine, pushing, dragging and lifting trees, plus whatever mowing I can get done as I clear each field of storm debris.
Anyway, at 130 hours, I changed the tranny/hydraulic filter and fluid. It takes 10 gallons. The Kubota brand was $50 for a 5 gallon bucket, but the aftermarket stuff is only $30. I decided to go with the Kubota brand at least for the 1st change.
I also changed the the front-wheel drive gear oil. The dealer was out of the Kubota brand, so I bought stuff at Walmart (Supertech).
Finally, I changed the fuel filter, mostly because I was using a lot of diesel from questionable sources right after the storm.
So, my questions are...
How many of y'all use aftermarket stuff without any problems?
What brand of fluids do y'all use?
Do y'all use aftermarket filters or stick with the Kubota brand.
My dealer charges $7.87 for the engine oil filter, $35.20 for the hydraulic filter, and $3.36 for the fuel filter. Those prices don't seem unreasonable, considering how often these are changed, but the price of the fluids seem to be a big difference.
Thanks for your experiences and opinions.

/ Brand Name Fluids and Filters #2  
I would use the search function since fluids, filters etc have been discussed more time then free dogs at walmart!

Here is the link for it: powerful search function

/ Brand Name Fluids and Filters
I did a search, but I must be asking the wrong questions. I keep getting a "No Match".

/ Brand Name Fluids and Filters #4  
You are more then likely not doing the search right (need to make it more general), but,

1) I use all aftermarket fluids on my bx, cars, etc
2) I use all 100% synthetic, real ones.
3) Filters are either Fleetguard, Kubota or Baldwin. Looking into Donaldson though.
4) Not kocking Walmart but a “Rollback” front diff fluid? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I used Amsoil series 2000 75w-90 and called it a day for my diff (3 year old). Much better then Kubota SUDT in the front diff.

/ Brand Name Fluids and Filters #5  
Like Mike said, there has been a lot of discussion here on this topic already - that's why there's a whole forum devoted to it (oils, fuels, and lubricants), and that forum's description calls it a "never-ending discussion".

But, since you are new and asked nice, I will give you my opinion. Others will disagree.

Like many other things, for the most part you get what you pay for in motor oil and hydraulic fluid. For this reason, I personally do not shop for these things on price alone. But, having said this, know that manufacturer-branded lubricants are a profit item and usually priced at a premium compared to the same quality or even better aftermarket products. Also, Kubota (nor any other tractor manufacturer) does not refine their own oils, they spec it out and buy it from an oil company.

Any oil or hydro fluid meeting the manufacturer's specifications will be adequate, and cannot by federal law void the warranty. Most oil available anywhere will fill this bill. If you want the extra protection against heat, cold starts, and hard service that synthetic oil and hydro fluid provides, then there are many to choose from but they cost more. Some (myself included) feel that after buying an expensive piece of quality equipment like a Kubota tractor, the additional cost of quality synthetic lubricants is fairly insignificant compared to the initial purchase.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil in all my crankcases including tractors. It is not the very best oil available, but it is good synthetic oil available anywhere and frequently on sale. Others are fond of Amsoil, Redline, and several other brands of synthetic oil. If you do go with synthetic, do some research first because some hydro-cracked crude oil-based stuff can legally be labeled as synthetic but is not really. Mike has some references and web sites where you can look this stuff up if you want. If you ask nice, he'd probably give them to you, but they're in the many other previous threads.

As far as hydraulic fluid goes, Kubota Super UDT is very popular on this forum. It is a synthetic product, and Kubota is very proud of it. The closest dealer to me does not carry it, so I bought the best quality Chevron hydro fluid available at the bulk plant nearest me. It meets Kubota specs and is labeled as such. I can't tell the difference in use between it and the Kubota products it replaced (either UDT or Super UDT).

I use Kubota filters because I'm too lazy to cross reference and look for aftermarket ones, but others have already done the cross referencing for many and posted them here, if you want to search the archives.

You can also get synthetic gear oil for your front axle, and synthetic grease for your grease zerks. Mobil and Amsoil both make these.

Sorry about the mess to clean up from the hurricane, but I bet you're glad you already had your tractor before hand. Good luck with the cleanup.

/ Brand Name Fluids and Filters #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would use the search function since fluids, filters etc have been discussed more time then free dogs at walmart!

Here is the link for it: powerful search function
)</font>

I used the powerful search engine, but have been unable to find any mention of free dogs at Walmart /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(sorry I couldn't resist)

/ Brand Name Fluids and Filters #7  
I hear ya. I was LOL!

Depends which day, It is either that or $2 in the food court with any oil purchase.

Maybe, just maybe you can get a birthday hat if you go on your special day! I wonder if the hats are made in China too??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Brand Name Fluids and Filters #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Any oil or hydro fluid meeting the manufacturer's specifications will be adequate, and cannot by federal law void the warranty. )</font>

The hydro fluid on my L4400 was running low due to a leaking rear remote. When I called the dealer to ask him if I could add a comparable but non-Kubota fluid he told me it would void the warranty. I did not think this was true but didn't argue with him.

I wonder if he meant that mixing brands was the issue or if simply using non-Kubota fluid was the issue? I don't know, but it seems to me that neither of these would legally void the warranty. Makes me wonder what to think of the dealer.

In any case, as I mentioned in another post, being new and insecure about this tractor business I'll likely just use UDT until the warranty is up or at the very least for the 50 hour service.

/ Brand Name Fluids and Filters #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The hydro fluid on my L4400 was running low due to a leaking rear remote. When I called the dealer to ask him if I could add a comparable but non-Kubota fluid he told me it would void the warranty. I did not think this was true but didn't argue with him.

I wonder if he meant that mixing brands was the issue or if simply using non-Kubota fluid was the issue? I don't know, but it seems to me that neither of these would legally void the warranty. Makes me wonder what to think of the dealer.)</font>

Search the archives here (or on Google, Dogpile, etc. for that matter) for "Magnussen-Moss Warranty Act". The dealer probably knows it well, but it seems the flunkies behind the parts counter never do.

/ Brand Name Fluids and Filters
Mike,

Thanks. I don't know why I overlooked the "Oils, Fuels, and Lubricants" forum. Now, I'm reading through all those threads. I do agree that it is not logical to worry about saving a few dollars on oil when you are trying to protect a $20,000 investment that should last for decades.

Sneaky Pete,

Thanks for the input. I've been a tractor owner for many years, but just found the TBN website 6 months ago. I've gotten a lot of good info here.

N80,

Good luck with your L4400. So far (135 hours) I'm just loving mine. It does some things even better than my old Ford 4000.
I ran aftermarket oils in the Ford for many years without trouble.
The 4400 is my first NEW tractor, so I don't want to screw it up.