Oil & Fuel BX1500 Fuel Light

/ BX1500 Fuel Light #1  

PKS10

I recently purchased a new BX1500 and have used it now two times to mow. After searching for a similar post, I came up empty so here it is. Does anyone with a BX1500 find the fuel light to be hypersensitive? I was on the machine with a full tank for less than an hour when it started to blink. Mowing and turning up a hill, the light stays on briefly until you even out. I called the dealer and they brought it back to make an "adjustment" though I was told that it is because of the shape of the tank and the sensor was positioned correctly. No change when I ran it again. I guess I just have to get used to it. I originally assumed that if the light starts to blink, I would be low on fuel and that appears not to be the case.

/ BX1500 Fuel Light #2  
Hi pks10, and welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My indicator light works the same as yours, and I assume it is normal. With nearly anything less than a full tank, driving on a slope causes the light to go on and off as the fuel level in the tank at the sensor changes. It is surprising how little change in attitude is required to activate the sensor.

I've adopted the following practice after cleaning up a couple "overfills": /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I ignore the indicator light until it remains on constantly while stopped on a level surface. I can usually run at least an hour after that before the bottom of the tank is exposed at the filler hole. I haven't yet run out of fuel or even come close to needing 4.5 gal (fuel tank capacity) to refill.

/ BX1500 Fuel Light #3  
I have a similar experience with my BX2230. The guage will vary widely with as little as 5-10 degrees side tilt. It's because the sensor is on the top of the left side of the tank, so even a little lean will cause the fuel to all go to the other side, giving a false low.

/ BX1500 Fuel Light #4  
Yep, the fuel light on my BX1500 does the same thing. As coveredbridge said, just ignore it unless it stays on constantly while level.

/ BX1500 Fuel Light #5  
Same here /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ BX1500 Fuel Light
Thank you gentlemen. I suspected as such though it is nice to have it confirmed. I am happy to have discovered this site and at some point with more hours and owner knowledge, I will do my part in contributing substantiative information. Thanks again.

/ BX1500 Fuel Light #7  
Well now wait a minute!
The BX1500 puts out 15 hp, or 11.2 kilowatts.
The bulb on the low fuel light is 5 watts.
That means that that when the bulb is on, 5 less watts is available to the wheels and attachments due to this added load. More load, more fuel consumption, less available power. Not a good scenario at all.