BX and Bush Hog type mower--what size???

/ BX and Bush Hog type mower--what size??? #1  

RonR

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 BX2200
I have a BX2200 and am contemplating buying a bush hog type rear rotary cutter next summer. I know the manual says 4foot max, but I'd like to know what the fine folks here are using.

To me, it seems like driving over near 100% of the material before you cut it will make for a lousy cut, if you go with a 4 foot cutter. Maybe I need a small, used utility tractor and separate mower????? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I won't be cutting brush, just tall weeds and some rough, pasture type grass. Any advice is appreciated. THANKS.

/ BX and Bush Hog type mower--what size??? #2  
I know that others have said it's too large, but I use my brothers 5' light duty rough cut mower for field grass and weeds. It pulls it ok but I won't use it in hilly situations, only on rolling and flat places. I mow around the pasture's electric fence and with the 5', am able to get under most of the fence and it is heavy fescue so there is no way to take less than a full swath and if it pulls down, I just slow down till I get through the real heavy stuff.

/ BX and Bush Hog type mower--what size??? #3  
Ron, I don't think the problem is horse power to spin a 5 footer,but one of weight. The weight of a 5 foot BH on a small machine may be potentially dangerous. A very light duty cutter may be safe, but don't count on it. MJK

/ BX and Bush Hog type mower--what size??? #4  
The attached pic is of a 5' Howse bush hog mounted on a TE20. The TE's PTO hp was rated anywhere from 18 to 20hp and as you can see it probably weighed in at nearly 2k lbs.
Working that 5' BH was pretty hard on it and when I raised it up it could cause he frontend to come up ever so slightly when I hit bumps or was going up hill. I'd say a 5' BH would be a tall order for a BX to handle. I'd definitely try before I'd buy...
Volfandt

Attachments

• 762826-TE20 & Bushhog 2.jpg
    762826-TE20 & Bushhog 2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 198
   / BX and Bush Hog type mower--what size??? #5  
Forgot to mention that I do have the FEL on when I use the 5' mower and the mower looks like a twin to the one you have. I haven't had the front to come up at all when bouncing or crossing ditches etc. havent tried it without the FEL though.