Stinkin' BX23 seat broke again.

/ Stinkin' BX23 seat broke again. #1  

jim_wilson

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200 w/ BH77 & 12", 18" & 24" buckets, Kubota B50 SSQA w/ 54" & 60" buckets, LandPride FDR1660, Artillian Fork frame, Extreme 3pt rake, Concrete Mixer, MyTractorTools grapple adapter
Stinkin\' BX23 seat broke again.

This is a rant.

Today is in the mid 60's and sunny out - rare for this time of year around here and especially welcomed because it feels like it has been raining non-stop for the past month.

So as usual when there are days like this - I am outside digging with the tractor and as I went to spin the seat around the use the backhoe I could not get it to lockdown in the backhoe position. This is when I noticed that one of the arms in the seat mechanism was slightly bent. The pivot mechanism has been slightly buggered for a while (it is missing some of the little white slide shoes) because I have been too busy to go to the dealer and get the parts to fix it. But now there is a little slide arm that helps put the seat into the two different positions that is all bent up.

So to get the seat working again I had to take the whole mechanism apart and carefully avoid dropping the pieces in the dirt while I bent the arm back into place and re-assembled the spin mechanism. This is the 4th time this seat has broken in a way that made the tractor inoperable and made me take away valuable work time to fix it.

My dealer has been good about fixing the seat under warranty when I have brought it to them - but that is not the point. Kubota should have spent a little more engineering time to make a more sturdy mechanism that doesn't break as frequently as this one does. I am up to 330 hours so far and this is the 4th time the seat has broken on me - if I keep this tractor and don't modify the Kubota mechanism I am sure I can count on it breaking with regularity a few more times over the years.

I have not seen it mentioned anywhere but I sure hope a better seat mechanism was one of the upgrades that has been put into the new BX24. The seat is as an important part of the tractor as the engine, the tires, the loader or the backhoe, because if the seat doesn't work - the tractor doesn't work.

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Stinkin' BX23 seat broke again. #2  
Re: Stinkin\' BX23 seat broke again.

This is the first time I've heard of this problem.
Sounds like a complete new seat may be in order.
Perhaps the bent parts may have been defective.