BX1830 Turbo?

/ BX1830 Turbo? #1  

Mike_Lipke

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1500
My brother has a BX1830, and he wants to put a small turbo on it. He put some Banks kit on his Dodge Cummins and gets 500++ hp out of it, so he thinks that he can modify his 3 cyl as well. I'm sure he can do the plumbing, but I wonder if that little motor, as well made as it is, will handle the increased fuel and combustion pressure.
It might be suck squeeze bang BLOW!!

/ BX1830 Turbo? #2  
If nothing else, it would be neat to be able to say you have a turbo on that tractor. The thing is, it's a pretty small tractor (I had a 2003 BX1500, a 2004 B7610, and now a 2005 MX5000). I couldn't imagine having such a big jump in power for something that size. I'm just curious how that would affect a PTO driven implement. Can you install a turo so there is no turbo lag (that period of time when you hit the gas and nothing happens, then the boost gets built up and then take off like a bat out of ****)? I have a 2005 Ford F-250 Superduty with a 6.0 Turbo deisel. When I mash the gas to the floor (nothing for a couple of seconds), then it takes off scary fast for a big truck. The more I think of it, that's a really neat idea...

/ BX1830 Turbo? #3  
I does sound interesting but it will for shure put more stress on the drive line than the designers intended. Will it hold up?
Only one way to find out.

/ BX1830 Turbo? #4  
YOu have to remember that a turbo for a tractor is not like one for a car. the turbo spools up when you raise the throttle and stays there. so you are getting boost the whole time you are mowing, or running a tiller. I would suspect you could pick up 1-2 horsepower with a turbo running low boost. alot of bobcats have turbos and many other types of equipment too.

/ BX1830 Turbo? #5  
Sounds like a great way to wreck a perfectly good little diesel motor.

What are you gonna do, <font color="red"> RACE IT </font> ?? Really, what's the point?? Honestly.

/ BX1830 Turbo? #6  
Your brother obviously has too much liquid income...he needs to send me some of it.

That motor isn't built internally for supercharging. You'd have to lower the static compression ratio and probably install (if possible) internal reinforcement in the block to withstand the added torque and horsepower.

Naturally aspirated diesels aren't inherently designed to adapt to turbocharging.

He'd probably have more fun supercharging a Briggs and Stratton and it would be a lot cheaper in the long run because he will destroy the motor in short order.

/ BX1830 Turbo? #8  
Honestly, all the extra power in the world will be useless considering the hydraulic pump used to drive the tractor will not be changed. If the pump flows X volume / Y psi at 18 hp, and 1.1X volume / 1.2Y psi at 30 hp, what's the point? My numbers are from my butt, I'm just trying to make a point.