Tractor
    Kubota 1997 L3600DT 4WD with FEL

Default Fuel Gauge

I was bush hogging yesterday and looked down to see the fuel gauge dead on "E". I quickly pulled over to the shop and put 5 gallons in figuring that would hold me for a while. When I started her up, the fuel gauge showed Full! Now this is only the second time I put fuel in her. The first time, right after I bought it (used), I put in about 8 gallons so I know the capacity is there. The book on the L3600 says 9.6 gallons. I don't expect the fuel gauge to be NASA certified but this seemed extreme. What are some of your experiences with the fuel gauge?

Tractor
    B6100D Kubota

Default Re: Fuel Gauge

Ever notice on your car, you can drive a long time before it comes off of full. And it doesn't stop when you hit empty? Once you get used to it, you'll know that E means that it's close, but you'd better be making plans for refueling.

Keep the greasy side down.
    Mike

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000

I am concerned about the fuel gauge on the L3000 I got in July. The gauge never moved off the full mark after 6 hours of use. The tank is supposed to hold a little over 8 gallons. It took about 4 gallons to fill the tank.

When the dealer sent a mechanic to address a stuck valve on the 3PH control I asked him to look at the fuel gauge. He said it was working just takes a while to move off full.

The next time I let the gauge get to the 3/4 full mark and added just under 5 gallons of fuel. My concern is the gauge should have read about 1/2 empty or 1/2 full depending on your point of view. I'm afraid I am going to run out of fuel before the gauge reads close to empty.

Or is this how they work ??

Tractor

I thought about that too, Mike, but I guess it showing dead empty when I had a half of a tank of fuel was a bit too far off for me. Oh well, like you said, I guess I'll just get used to how it works.

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

tony; i am afarid that fuel gauges and hr. meters for some reason are not very accurate. on my tractor whaen it get down to 1/4 tank i fill her up. yours may be diff, but find the level wher u are comfotable with. damm things should be more accurate.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000DT

Fuel consumption of an L3000 should be something like 1.9 gph at full throttle, so an 8.2 gallon tank should be good for a little over four hours.

Very few operations require 100% power, though, so a tank should last much longer. At any rate, you should be safe for a minimum of four hours after filling.

However, if the hour meter is also inaccurate, all bets are off.

Tractor

Evidently you're right, Frank. Based on some of the other replies, they run the gamut. It doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to make a good fuel gauge.. Well I guess I should be happy that mine errs the "safe" way...when it's on 'E', it's got 4 gallons left!