Oil & Fuel Fuel Gauge

/ Fuel Gauge #1  

TonyC

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 1997 L3600DT 4WD with FEL
I was bush hogging yesterday and looked down to see the fuel gauge dead on "E". I quickly pulled over to the shop and put 5 gallons in figuring that would hold me for a while. When I started her up, the fuel gauge showed Full! Now this is only the second time I put fuel in her. The first time, right after I bought it (used), I put in about 8 gallons so I know the capacity is there. The book on the L3600 says 9.6 gallons. I don't expect the fuel gauge to be NASA certified but this seemed extreme. What are some of your experiences with the fuel gauge?

/ Fuel Gauge #2  
Ever notice on your car, you can drive a long time before it comes off of full. And it doesn't stop when you hit empty? Once you get used to it, you'll know that E means that it's close, but you'd better be making plans for refueling.

Keep the greasy side down.
Mike

/ Fuel Gauge #3  
I am concerned about the fuel gauge on the L3000 I got in July. The gauge never moved off the full mark after 6 hours of use. The tank is supposed to hold a little over 8 gallons. It took about 4 gallons to fill the tank.

When the dealer sent a mechanic to address a stuck valve on the 3PH control I asked him to look at the fuel gauge. He said it was working just takes a while to move off full.

The next time I let the gauge get to the 3/4 full mark and added just under 5 gallons of fuel. My concern is the gauge should have read about 1/2 empty or 1/2 full depending on your point of view. I'm afraid I am going to run out of fuel before the gauge reads close to empty.

Or is this how they work ??

/ Fuel Gauge
I thought about that too, Mike, but I guess it showing dead empty when I had a half of a tank of fuel was a bit too far off for me. Oh well, like you said, I guess I'll just get used to how it works.

/ Fuel Gauge #5  
tony; i am afarid that fuel gauges and hr. meters for some reason are not very accurate. on my tractor whaen it get down to 1/4 tank i fill her up. yours may be diff, but find the level wher u are comfotable with. damm things should be more accurate.

/ Fuel Gauge #6  
Fuel consumption of an L3000 should be something like 1.9 gph at full throttle, so an 8.2 gallon tank should be good for a little over four hours.

Very few operations require 100% power, though, so a tank should last much longer. At any rate, you should be safe for a minimum of four hours after filling.

However, if the hour meter is also inaccurate, all bets are off.

/ Fuel Gauge
Evidently you're right, Frank. Based on some of the other replies, they run the gamut. It doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to make a good fuel gauge.. Well I guess I should be happy that mine errs the "safe" way...when it's on 'E', it's got 4 gallons left!